Assistant Manager – Corporate Tax – Tax Centre of Excellence- Birmingham
- Competitive salary plus negotiable bonus and benefits
- Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 13 Mar 19
KPMG is part of a global network of firms that offers Audit, Tax & Pensions, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology services. Through the talent of over 16,000 colleagues, we bring our creativity and insight to our clients’ most critical challenges. With offices across the UK, we work with everyone from small start-ups and individuals to major multinationals, in virtually every industry imaginable. Our work is often complex, yet our vision is simple: to be the clear choice for our clients, for our people and for the communities we work in.
Our Tax Centre of Excellence (TCoE) has challenged and modernised the way that we deliver tax compliance services, by centralising the activities relating to the preparation and finalisation of tax computations and returns. Our vision is to build a more efficient and effective service for our clients.
We are now looking for talented Tax Assistant Managers with UK corporate tax experience to join us here.
You will be able to demonstrate exceptional tax compliance skills, the ability to work to tight deadlines and produce a first class product ready for issue to our clients. This will involve working closely with tax professionals based in all of KPMG’s UK offices, along with our offshore partners (who manage processing aspects), to deliver a seamless service to our clients.
The corporate tax team based in the TCoE is an integral part of our overall offering to clients. The roles involve working on clients of all sizes (from mid-market to FTSE listed groups) and across a wide range of sectors.
We are offering both full time and part time roles with flexible working arrangements which include, early or late starts to fit around other commitments, shorter working days etc. We would be happy to discuss your own requirements and our range of flexible working arrangements in more detail, should that be of interest.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Maintain a portfolio of clients and take responsibility for ensuring their tax computations are prepared to a high standard, on a timely basis and finalised and submitted to HMRC within agreed deadlines.
- Work with the KPMG local office teams nationally and/or the client directly to understand the requirements at the start of each compliance cycle and provide instructions to the tax computation preparers.
- Potential visits to clients/ local offices when appropriate.
- Review the draft tax computation produced to ensure correct treatment of items and determine whether further information is required.
- Liaise with the client to obtain additional information if required, feeding back to the tax computation preparers to enable them to provide an updated draft computation for subsequent review.
- Identify and resolve technical issues, preparing technical analysis and involving specialists as appropriate to prepare or review analysis.
- Deliver a high quality, technically accurate final draft tax computation, ready for final review by a manager/senior manager and sending to the client.
- Provide advice and support to the KPMG local office team and/or client, as requested, including for example providing assistance in the drafting of responses to HMRC correspondence and preparing tax accounting disclosures.
- Develop and maintain relationships and act as primary liaison with KPMG local office teams and our offshore partners.
- Work with client administrators to ensure client administration and risk procedures are completed appropriately, liaising with KPMG local office teams as needed.
- Identify opportunities to identify additional services that the client may need and liaise with subject specialists.
- Follow KPMG best practice and policy.
Qualifications and Skills:
We welcome applications from those qualified by experience, as well as ATT / CTA / ACA or equivalent qualifications.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Experience of review of corporate tax computations and returns.
- Ability to identify and resolve technical issues, or escalate as appropriate.
- Experience of specific technical areas including: complex capital versus revenue treatment; pension scheme and share scheme adjustments; group relief; basic transfer pricing; UK GAAP tax accounting for single entities and simple groups.
- Awareness (experience preferred) of technical areas including: controlled foreign companies and worldwide debt calculations.
- Strong interpersonal skills in addition to strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent team work and organisational skills, including monitoring timetables and budgets.
- Proficient user of Alphatax (or similar tax software).