At Vontobel, we are committed to actively shaping our future. We create and pursue investment opportunities that get our clients ahead. As a global financial service provider with Swiss roots, we specialize in wealth management, active asset management and investment solutions that fit.
Within our mtx Equity department of our AM Thematic Boutique we are looking for a senior, fundamentally focused Global Insurance and Real Estate Analyst to cover Insurance and Real Estate companies with a main focus on Emerging Markets.
As an active, pure bottom-up equity manager, we invest in attractively valued companies globally that are leading both in terms of their profitability (ROIC) as well as their competitive position. We invest both in Global Emerging as well as Global Developed Markets with Emerging Markets being the main focus given the team’s track record and the numerous awards it won for its Emerging Market capabilities. The investment team is strongly process driven, thereby constructing and managing style-consistent portfolios that blend both value and quality styles. All our portfolios are ESG-compliant.
- Generating investment ideas in the global Insurance and Real Estates universe, in particular in Global Emerging Markets, driven by a strict, value-driven, fundamental bottom-up investment process focused on free cash flow, not earnings
- Working closely with PMs and other senior buy-side analysts to develop investment ideas
- Presenting high conviction and timely investment recommendations in the Insurance and Real Estates universe to the PMs
- Performing fundamental analysis which includes the understanding of the key drivers of Insurance and Real Estate companies, sector dynamics and supply/demand situations and trends
- Building financial models, generating proprietary forecasts and valuing Insurance and Real Estates companies under different scenarios and assumptions with a strong focus on understanding downside risks
- The candidate must currently cover or must have covered until recently Insurance companies, either Global Emerging Market and/or Asian Insurance companies. Alternatively, the candidate currently covers or has covered Developed Market Insurance companies, either pan-European and/or US, and is highly familiar with Global Emerging Market or Asian Insurance and Real Estate companies.
- Ideally, the candidate in addition currently covers or has covered in the past Real Estate companies, either Global Emerging Market and/or Asian Real Estate companies. Alternatively, the candidate currently covers or has covered Developed Market Real Estate companies, either pan-European and/or US, and is highly familiar with Global Emerging Market Real Estate companies, in particular with Real Estate companies in China.
- The analyst must be willing to follow a strict investment process which is built on ROIC whereby it is critical that the analyst understands the impact of a company’s capital allocation decision on its incremental return on invested capital
- The analyst must demonstrate superior company knowledge and a good understanding of the business models of Insurance and Real Estate companies as well as the capital allocation opportunities Insurance and Real Estate companies enjoy in various end-markets, allowing her/him to step outside of the consensus comfort-zone and to generate out-of-consensus forecasts and recommendations
- The candidate is a stock picker and must feel comfortable to make few, high-conviction recommendations that have big impact on the performance of highly concentrated portfolios
- The candidate must have strong modeling and valuation skills and take a value-driven, cashflow-focused, bottom-up fundamental approach to investing
- The analyst must demonstrate a good understanding of key ESG issues and risks and incorporate ESG factors in his/her analytical work based on the team’s ESG frameworks
- The candidate must be able to maintain coverage and follow the development of existing investments in Insurance and Real Estate companies while working timely on new investment ideas
The ideal candidate will have the following characteristics
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant fundamental research analysis with a top institution on the buy-side or sell-side
- High degree of intellectual curiosity, versatility and self-motivation
- Committed and disciplined with strong working ethics
- Ability to work independently and under pressure to meet deadlines
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Understand the needs of portfolio managers and the different roles portfolio managers and research analysts perform in an investment team
- Good team player
- Strong academic background
- CFAs and Mandarin speakers preferred
Heike Rothenbusch, Corporate Human Resources, +41 58 283 53 34
Take ownership and bring opportunities to life. Be Vontobel.