Big Data Administrator
As one of the top suppliers to our client, a prestigious bank in Basel, Swisslinx are looking for a highly motivated and technology savvy Big Data Engineer with 3+ years experience administering Big Data on prem solutions to help build a next generation data and analytics systems across the bank.
This is a rolling 12 month contract (with possibility to extend for up to five years) role in Basel, Switzerland.
The role has the focus to administer and manage the big-data suite of products as the platform expands in the bank as part of it long term digital strategy. You will also support business units in their adoption of the platform.
Joining a highly experienced and motivated team of 10+ data and analytics professionals from all parts of the globe, you will help tackle a range of complex software and data challenges, including big data, data warehousing, advanced analytics, real time analytics, business intelligence and data governance.
The team is open, diverse, and inclusive having staff members, contractors, and consultants. It has 28 team members within a cross-functional structure, and they are all involved in many initiatives internally or supporting stakeholders.
You will be helping us to improve the capabilities of the analytics platform. You will have the opportunity to administer and manage the big-data suite of products in the bank. You will also support business units in their adoption of the platform.
• Administer and manage the various tools in the big-data platform (Cloudera, ELK etc).
• Automate platform deployment by developing IAC (Infrastructure as code) components on Ansible
• Support the infrastructure for greater scalability, high availability, security and resiliency.
• Develop complementary features to support strict SLA guarantees to end users: Optimize resource allocations, enhanced monitoring capabilities, focus on resiliency, ease of support and governance, multitenancy.
• Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery and enhancing the overall platform capabilities
• Establish best practices and standards in the team around the following: Data modelling standards, code quality, TDD, DevOps, DataOps
• Working with other teams in the bank and increasing the adoption of the framework.
You will be challenged to work on the Big Data platform with a large amount of data and the main scope is to support data science cases within the bank. It is a scalable platform, and it is based on the Cloudera technology.
This is a great chance to work in a highly collaborative environment, not just among the team but with expert economists, technologists, data scientists and statisticians - and counterparts in other international organisations and central banks.
We're looking for a candidate who's passionate about data and analytics with the ability to think out of the box who can introduce new ideas into the team.
In order to be considered for this role, you will meet the following criteria:
• Solid experience in supporting data platforms
• Minimum 3+ years working and supporting Cloudera (or similar) big-data platforms in an admin role
• Experience with on-prem big data distributions Cloudera or Hortonworks
• Very good Linux or server administration working experience
• Good understanding of standard Data engineering practices and data warehousing, SQL, ETL
• Quality focussed with commitment to excellence in data engineering solutions
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
• Very good stakeholder management skills
• Fluency in English (additional languages a plus)
The following skills would be nice to have:
• Proficiency in at least one major programming language (e.g. Java, Python) and ability to pick up new tech skills independently.
• Experience managing ELK stack or Google Apigee
• Good working experience in developing Ansible modules for deployment
Please note due to COVID interviews would be conducted remotely, however the role is based 100% in Switzerland. The team is currently working for home during the pandemic and 2-3 days home office will be offered post COVID.
Are you interested to work in an international environment in one of the leading financial companies in Switzerland? Then apply now! We look forward to receiving your full application.
By applying for this position, I consent to the Swisslinx Group of companies:
- storing my personal information (including name, contact details, Identification and CV information etc.) on their internal or external servers for the purpose of informing me of potential employment opportunities
- using my personal information or
- supplying it to third parties upon express consent for the purpose of informing me of potential job opportunities
- transferring where applicable my personal information to a country outside the EEA/EFTA