Test Automation Engineer
Test Lead Qualification
Bachelors in engineering or equivalent Responsibility
: Knowledge Transition
- Understand and analyze business requirements based on the review of documents (functional specifications document, technical specification documents etc) as received from client / onsite.
- Participate in KT calls to understand the requirements.
- Conduct reverse KT with the client / onsite or share the document detailing out the requirement or application/domain knowledge to ensure understanding on the same.
- Prepare and share query log (tracker) to track queries.
- Followup to ensure resolution of queries as documented in the query log.
- Organize KT sessions for new team members.
- Conduct training on tools (like ETL tools etc) as applicable.
Test Requirement Study
- Seek signoff from the client team.
- Participate in the requirement walkthrough session conducted by Sr Test Analyst and identify the gaps in the requirement, Seek clarification on requirements from the Test Architect if required.
- Seek clarification on requirement and update the clarification tracker with the same.
- Identify the preliminary test data requirements.
- Provide inputs to the test lead/sr test analyst on the scope of testing, analyst effort estimate for the total volume of work, requirement analysis and clarification, test approach etc.
- Only for select projects (Simple and Small sized where there is need for 2 team members offshore to support the assignment).
- Document the test plan based on the understanding of test strategy (covering project details, items under scope, items not of scope, type of testing, assumptions, dependencies, risks foreseen, entry/exit criteria) for each cycle.
- Seek signoff on the test plan from the client.
- Provide inputs for test plan creation including number of test scenarios and test cases used for estimation of the test cycles /schedule, dependencies etcin addition to the other dependencies from various teams like environment availability , third party interfaces and test data etc.
- Provide inputs to the test lead/sr test analyst on test tool evaluation if required.
- Identify testable scenarios and create test scenario document.
- Track resolutions through query log.
- Seek review from the senior test analyst / test lead at offshore.
- Update the requirements traceability matrix with test scenarios.
- Seek sign off from client on test scenarios.
- Based on sign off, identify test cases and test data.
- Map the requirements to the test scenarios and test cases in QC.
- Share test data requests/requirement with the test data management team.
- Based on signed off test scenarios, identify test data.
- Create test cases based on the understanding of the requirements and ensure the test coverage.
- If using Quality Centre (Test Management Tool), ensure follow up on the processes and rules to be followed during developments.
- If using Excel, the test cases are written in such a manner that they can be uploaded on to QC for ease in reuse.
- Create/Update the RTM if applicable and Query log with test cases and test data.
Test Execution and Closure
- Modify the existing regression scenarios based on the impact of change.
- Conduct smoke testing to ensure system readiness for testing.
- Execute automation test scripts/manual test cases post the same.
- Record and maintain testing evidences and track execution status of assigned test cases.
- Share findings with the Senior Test Analyst.
- Identify defects and log failures.
- Track defects (defect log as generated from the QC tool) to closure.
- Participate in the defect triages to gather evidence for defect identification on periodic basis for defect prioritization and fix.
- Retest the defect and update the status.
- Conduct acceptance testing, if required.
- Track defect metrics to ensure testing effectiveness as generated by QC tool.
- Track # of test cases executed as part of the daily tracker to ensure productivity.
- Provide deployment and post production support if required.
- Identify the test suite for execution, if required.
- Provide inputs to Sr Test Analyst for test summary report.
- Participate in audit at various stages to check for adherence to Cognizant processes and guidelines.
Must Have Skills
- Create/Update Knowledge Repository /artefacts based on project/customer needs inclusive of business/ application levels requirements details in WIKI.
- Test and Defect Management