Financial Institutions - Spanish Banks - Associate Director - Barcelona
- Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain
- Permanent, Full time
- Fitch Ratings
- 13 Sep 17 2017-09-13
We are currently looking for an Associate Director to join our Financial Institutions (“FI”) team to be based in Barcelona, focusing on the ratings primarily of banks in Spain and Portugal.
The Fitch Ratings Financial Institutions Group has actively built the agency into the global leader in bank credit rating coverage. Our experienced analysts provide comprehensive, timely and transparent coverage of major institutions around the world, as well as unparalleled coverage of smaller companies. Our analysts offer a diversity of talent and backgrounds, with experience in regulatory oversight, counterparty analysis, auditing, investment banking, buy-side investing and more.
The FI group's rating process utilises a set of rating scales that are unique to Fitch Ratings. The Viability Rating, which expresses Fitch Ratings' view of a bank's stand-alone financial profile, is combined with the Support Rating to arrive at the Issuer Default Rating, an anchor for its debt issue ratings. Fitch Ratings' Support Rating and Support Rating Floors provide important insight relative to the likelihood and nature of external support should the financial institution experience financial difficulties. Ratings guidelines are applied to long and short-term foreign currency ratings and to local currency ratings and National ratings for emerging markets (the latter are non-comparable across borders).
Quantitative aspects of a bank's strengths and weaknesses are reviewed, such as balance sheet integrity and profitability. The analysts also evaluate qualitative factors of the institution, such as strategy and quality of management, the environment in which it operates, and the most likely future development of its business. Final rating determinations are made by committees comprised of lead analysts and seasoned independent committee members, including Fitch Ratings’ senior management.
We are currently looking for an Associate Director to join our Financial Institutions (“FI”) team to be based in Barcelona, focusing on the ratings primarily of banks in Spain and Portugal. Candidates will be involved in the following activities:
- Monitoring a portfolio of issuer ratings, including the preparation of rating committee documentation
- Writing and publishing comprehensive rating reports on individual issuers (based on public information and management meetings with the rated entities)
- Participation in credit rating committees for banks in their allocated region and other countries
- Regular interaction with contacts at issuers and liaison with issuers’ senior management at rating meetings
- Publication of sector-specific research and insightful commentary
- Responding to external queries from investors, bankers and other fixed income market participants.
Qualifications and experience:
- Previous experience gained as a counterparty, bank or corporate analyst, auditor, regulator, consultant or relationship manager.
- Educated to first degree level (with professional qualifications an advantage).
- Excellent demonstrable written and verbal communication skills in English and Spanish (with Portuguese an advantage).
- Ability to work independently as well as being a good team player.
- Ability to cope with time pressure and work to deadlines is essential.