VP of Engineering - Ruby on Rails
- Singapore Singapore Singapore SG
- Permanent, Full time
- Cavenagh Bridge , EA Licence No: 17S8504
- 23 Feb 18 2018-02-23
Reporting to the Chief Technology Officer, the VP Engineering will drive the overall engineering output, and will own the software development life cycle, as well as having a significant influence on overall product strategy. This is a new position, created in response to the continued rapid growth of the team, and we seek an experienced manager with outstanding technical skills to complement our existing team, to support the implementation of the processes and structures on which our growth is predicated, and to lead the execution of challenging development activities on our comprehensive application roadmap ensuring high-quality work and on-time delivery.
Day to day management of our dynamic multi-shore software engineering team, with the Engineering managers reporting directly to you. Working with the CTO to define overall strategy, you will ensure the engineers identify the correct priorities, and you will design and manage an operating structure that allows for highly efficient coherent teams and high-quality products. You will coach & mentor the engineers in the team, identify areas of improvement, help them define their career paths and identify development opportunities.
Overall Software Engineering Output
The engineering teamwork across multiple products including e-commerce engine, mobile apps, backend systems and more. You will be responsible for the overall software engineering output of the team and you will own the full software development lifecycle process
You will look to define and implement software development and organizational processes, that enables efficiency, is scalable and minimizes friction between engineering and other key stakeholders: Product, Architecture, UI/UX, Security, other business units.
Effective communication and Delegation:
You will be leading a team of 15+ engineers (which is expected to grow rapidly over the next 3 years) with diverse skill sets, personal backgrounds and across multiple time-zones. You’ll communicate and delegate through layers, taking care to make sure everybody on your team understands where we’re going next and why. You will mentor and develop a deeply motivated, diverse and growing team.
- Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related engineering field
- Demonstrated experience in leading engineering teams that delivered quality products Strong and deeply rooted background in technology and in-depth knowledge of development practices
- Proven experience in developing and implementing SDLC and related engineering processes
- Strong communication and people skills and experience working in cross-functional teams
- Strong sense of responsibility
- 5+ years of experience developing web-based products
- Experience with e-commerce is strongly preferred; exposure to the interface between bricks & mortar & e-commerce is an advantage
- Experience managing or working with globally distributed remote teams is an advantage