Sr. Software Engineering Manager
Fueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal's 305 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
This is a Senior Manager role for PayPal Global Software Development. The role assumes ownership of development, delivery and the maintenance PayPal Payments capabilities deployed across more than 200 countries. Candidate should have extensive experience in the Digital Payments domain and be conversant in managing engineers, stakeholders, and enjoy solving complex engineering challenges. The candidate will own and manage multi-tiered distributed software applications that are both time critical and high volume in nature. This role is also required to lead and drive engineering projects involving multiple cross functional teams across geographical locations.
- Drive the strategy, solution, quality and delivery of Payments applications
- Manage technology scrum teams (in Singapore) responsible for designing, developing and supporting inhouse solutions
- Drive engineering vision, technology stack selection and R&D of emerging technologies as it relates to Payments such as Wallet Management, Transaction Orchestration, Payment Products, Money Movement, Acquiring, Settlement & Reconciliation, Instrumentation, Alerts & Monitoring etc
- Strong technical competence including prior experience in developing mission critical applications from scratch.
- Drive the technology architecture transformation/migration to support the evolution towards a more efficient and scalable platform. This includes green field buildout of mission critical applications using modern technology patterns and practices
- Define, design, and implement complex, multi-tier cloud-based distributed software applications.
- Lead and advance engineering solutions that need interactions between multiple, layered applications and database repositories.
- Be a trusted partner to Product and the Business to identify opportunities for technology leverage in business development
- Manage team of engineering resources comprising Engineering managers, tech leads and engineers to deliver related build-out
- Change champion to drive culture, mindset and skillset transformation in Engineering; Drive the reskilling of the incumbents and recruitment of critical domain skilled resources as needed for the Team
- Guide and mentor the team by making high-level design choices and setting technical standards, including software coding best practices.
- Work with other Engineers, Architects, Project, Product and Senior Management and Operations teams to develop innovative solutions that meet market needs with respect to functionality, performance, scalability, reliability, realistic implementation schedules, and adherence to development goals and principles.
- Lead and Influence cross functional domain project teams across multiple locations to deliver project end to end.
- Ensure that solutions are architected with supportability, availability, security, cost effectiveness and good customer experience in mind
- Manage the budget and estimations for Engineering deliveries
- Identify, define and choose the right application framework, plus subdivide a complex application, during the design phase, into smaller, more manageable pieces to reduce project risks.
- Engage and ideate with internal or external partners to deliver high value propositions for our consumers and merchants. Take the lead as required, to implement the installation, customization, and integration efforts
- Survey market landscape for solution/application insights, direction, vendors and methods where required
- Assign release management duties on feature rollouts, and share on-call responsibilities.
- Manage the service availability of core component platforms to meet required service level agreements
- Drive initiative to find and fix performance, scalability, and other live issues in a very time critical environment.
- Drive continuous improvements in the reliability, availability and performance for components within the Payments platforms and ensuring superior customer experience
- At least 15+ years of relevant application design & development experience of mission critical systems from scratch
- Driven major changes in engineering re-platforming and engineering team culture
- Strong problem-solving skills and a passion for debugging complex issues.
- Experience working as a development lead with more than 10 geographically distributed cross-functional teams
- A technologist's technologist - able to lead high performance technology teams by example
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English and Mandarin.
- Working experience with Payments, e-Commerce, Cash Management, Card Acquiring processing
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Engineering, Comp Science or Electrical Engineering
- Experience in leveraging continuous integration and robust build/test automation, with a preference for cross platform stacks and containerization (Git, Jenkins, Sonar, Docker, Cloud Foundry, etc.)
- Significant and solid software engineering experience using Agile/Lean methodology, Test Driven Development and familiarity with distributed computing, cloud native architecture patterns, containers & native capabilities of any public clouds (GCP, AWS etc)
- Proficiency with JSON, XML/XSL
- Proficiency with UML and OOP concepts
- Knowledge and experience with Java or C++.
- Knowledge of SQL, or noSQL.
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.