We are one of the largest investment management organizations in the world, with over 1000 people working together to create long-term value.
Investment Services for Private Markets & Finance
Investment Services Private Markets & Finance (ISPVMF) is responsible for financial management. It provides budgeting, financial planning & advisory, accounting, treasury operations, cash management, tax and financial and management reporting across the GIC group. It also provides operations and reporting support to GIC's private markets platform. This spans deal structuring & closing, transaction processing, administration and accounting of investment holding companies, review of financial controls for asset operations, cash & securities reconciliation, valuation and financial reporting for assets under management, and external debt financing.
GIC seeks to hire a Senior Vice President to play a leadership role in the Tax function within ISPVMF. This is a newly created role as part of building bench strength in tax, while at the same time creating APAC expertise given the prominence of the region, particularly China, in terms of private investments.
The role will provide the APAC team with leadership, a depth of technical expertise and understanding of the tax environments of relevant APAC jurisdictions. Against the backdrop of increasing deal activity in Mainland China, it is important that the incoming lead for APAC Tax should also speak fluent Mandarin and have a track record operating in the Greater China region. Responsibilities
- Tax Support to GIC's Private Investments asset classes in the Asia Pacific
- Delivers early-stage tax support as investment teams explore the viability of new opportunities. In anticipation of investing into new jurisdictions, facilitates preparatory work with external advisors to determine the availability of tax privileges for GIC and preferred tax structuring alternatives.
- Provides more direct support to investment teams in complex situations to ensure tax risks and opportunities are well understood, monitors the quality of final technical advice/opinions, and tax ruling submissions and, if necessary, gets involved to resolve service issues with advisors.
- Maintains tax knowledge pertinent to assets classes that invest across the Asia Pacific and leverage a network of external advisors to monitor for changes of tax law or administrative practice. Effectively communicates changes of law to investment departments that could impact current or future investments across the Asia Pacific.
- Proactively identifies best-in-class tax advisors to support the specific needs of the investment teams investing across the Asia Pacific. On-boards advisors, maintains relationships, and monitors performance to ensure advisors deliver to GIC's service and value expectations.
- Collaborates with investment teams and other Corporate Services departments to ensure that the on-going tax management of investments across the Asia Pacific needs GIC's needs. Identifies improvements and recommends pragmatic solutions.
- As necessary, facilitates similar investment support to non-Asia Pacific investments to ensure that the global tax support provided to GIC is balanced amongst competing priorities.
- Broader support across tax strategy and tax risk
- Supports the Tax team's work to advance tax strategic initiatives in the Asia Pacific.
- Maintains constructive relationships with key government authorities and tax departments of peer organizations in the Asia Pacific.
- Builds and delivers a renewable program of core training for investment professionals and other departments in the Asia Pacific to increase their tax awareness and enable them to effectively understand tax issues to their department.
- Contributes knowledge of GIC's Asia Pacific tax issues to the delivery of tax risk reporting to the Board, management committees, and various internal stakeholders.
- Maintains high standards of effective oral and written communications to internal stakeholders to ensure ease of understanding the relevance to the business.
- Assists the tax compliance team in interfacing with the Asia Pacific investment departments to ensure that GIC's tax compliance obligations are met.
- Actively contributes to the Tax team's knowledge and technology resources, and shares ideas/information with peers.
- Leads special projects and initiatives for the Asia Pacific.
- Build and maintain strong cross-functional relationships
- Works effectively with colleagues across GIC.
- Builds the trust of the investment departments that are directly supported.
- Develops, maintains, and manages relationships with key individuals across ISPVMF, Legal & Compliance, and other Corporate Services groups.
- Collaborates with peers in the Tax team to leverage team knowledge and experience.
- Delivers reports to senior management on tax issues, risks, and opportunities across asset classes, product lines, and geographies.
- Promotes collaboration and issue resolution within and across teams.
- Leadership of the Asia Pacific tax function
- Acts as primary liaison in the Asia Pacific region for the Head of Tax.
- Is primarily responsible for the performance and development of the Asia Pacific tax function.
- Develops, maintains, and manages relationships with investment team leads and the Head of the Asia Pacific.
- Is the primary contact for regulators and tax authorities in technical matters in the region.
- Is an active member of the wider ISPVMF leadership team, and is able to lead / support / contribute to cross-departmental initiatives.
- Acts as a role model for the Asia Pacific tax function and others within the wider Tax team.
- A minimum of 15 years' income tax experience, with significant international and/or M&A tax experience.
- A law degree with a major in Tax, or holds the Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation, or comparable professional credentials.
- Experience in the private investment industry is an asset, but not required.
- Speaks fluent Mandarin, ideally to a professional level, and has track record of operating in Mainland China.
- Demonstrates writing skills, strong analytical skills, creativity in written presentations materials, and strong oral presentation skills.
- Demonstrates leadership capabilities within cross-functional teams