Senior Technical Accountant
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base. The Role Responsibilities
This role is as Senior Accountant within the Group Accounting Policy Team within the Group Accounting Policy & Advisory. Strategy
- Establishes and maintains the Group's accounting policies and the related application guidance and ensures that they are applied in a consistent way on a global basis
- Leads the implementation of new and emerging IFRS accounting standards across the Group, engaging with multiple stakeholders across the business and Group functions and Group Risk in particular
- Engages with external bodies, including regulators, standard setters as well as active involvement with industry bodies and the Group's auditors
- Provides accounting advisory support to client businesses, country and business finance teams and Group functions
- Presents advanced and innovative business-focused solutions to technical accounting issues
- Provides pro-active thought leadership to senior management by developing world-class accounting ideas and solutions
People and Talent
- Reviews and provides accounting opinions on significant transactions under IFRS
- Performs thematic reviews for significant issues
- Actively participates in the debate on accounting changes, through internal and external forums and the submission of comment letters on emerging accounting and reporting issues, enabling the Group to ensure these best represent the Group's position
- Provides training for the Global finance and businesses through interactive presentations and newsletters
- To lead, inspire and motivate finance team in supporting a base level understanding of accounting.
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of people are suitably skilled.
- Ensures that Operational Risk requirements for GAPA are met
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- No specific governance requirements
- Displays exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct
- Takes personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct
- Effectively and collaboratively identifies, escalates, mitigates and resolves risk, conduct and compliance matters
- Group Financial Reporting
- Group Tax
- Country CFOs
- Product CFOs
- Front Office
- Investor Relations
- Corporate Development
- Product Control
Our Ideal Candidate
- Ability to manage multiple stakeholders and proven ability to lead a complex project to completion and within the projected timeframe
- Is pro-active and able to think laterally and strategically and have strong analytical skills and is able to analyse complex structural transactions and new product developments
- Has excellent communication skills, with the ability to work collaboratively and interact with all levels of staff, including senior bank management, and different cultures
- Qualified financial accountant, at least 8 years of post qualification experience
- Expert and in-depth knowledge of IFRS and financial instruments accounting, with the ability to apply that knowledge at a practical level within banking
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages . We welcome conversations on flexible working.