- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank Singapore
- 22 Apr 18
Senior Legal Counsel, Securities Services
- Location: Singapore
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Type: Full time
Support the priorities and agenda of SS as agreed with the Global Head of Legal, Securities Services. Assist in the management of SS-related legal matters across the Group's global network. Assist in the maintenance of frameworks to identify, assess, manage, monitor, mitigate and report legal risks in the SS business.Strategy and Leadership
* Assist in the management of SS -related Legal matters across the Group's global network, with overall responsibility for providing legal advice, guidance and support to stakeholders across the Group on SS related Legal matters.
* Maintain close relationships with stakeholders including SS business and product heads, in order to provide them with relevant legal advice, guidance and support. Help other lawyers in Legal supporting SS to interface with and support such stakeholders.
* Anticipate and proactively provide legal advice and assistance in relation to SS related projects and initiatives.
* Assist in the promotion of a culture and practice of compliance with legal standards (including conducting business within legal and regulatory requirements, with high ethical standards) within the Group.
* Set an appropriate tone and expectations from SS Legal as regards conduct,
* Follow a Here for good culture in SS Legal and comply with (and endeavour to ensure SS Legal complies with) the Group Code of Conduct.
* Assist in the development of strong working relationships with the lawyers in the Legal function supporting SS.
Product Advisory and Transactional Support
* Provide proactive SS-related legal advice and product legal advice to the business, including collaborating with the relevant regional and/or country Legal to provide seamless legal support to the SS business.
* Assist in the maintenance of an appropriate SS advisory and transactional support model having regard to the Legal function's structure, the PPG/CA parameters and, if applicable, Bank's minimum standards and guidance for the relevant product or services.
* Act as lead lawyer for complex SS transactions, collaborating with the relevant regional and/or country Legal to provide seamless support to the business.
* Work with Product, the Global Head of Legal, Securities Services & Corporate Agency and Trust and other stakeholders to structure and define parameters for new products and initiatives and develop template legal documentation.
* Ensure that global and domestic legal template documents are fit for purposes and promote standardization across the Group.
* Ensure that new legal templates or minimum documentation standards are properly rolled-out and adopted in countries, working with relevant other stakeholders having responsibility for the product or region or involved in the documentation process.
* Assist the Global Head of Legal, Securities Services in representing Legal in the governance of SS-related issues.
* Assist the Global Head of Legal, Securities Services in developing appropriate legal policies and procedures or minimum documentation standards.
* Assist the Global Head of Legal, Securities Services in ensuring the effective management of legal matters across the SS business.
* Have an awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role
* Challenge fellow executives effectively.
Regulatory and Business Conduct
* Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's values and Code of Conduct.
* Follow the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across the Group. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
* Assist all relevant stakeholders to achieve the relevant outcomes set out in the Group's Conduct Framework, including Financial Crime Prevention and The Right Environment.
* Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
General / Others
* Maintain close coordination with the Legal Dispute Resolution Team and Group Special Assets Management for their input, where relevant, into litigation cases concerning SS.
* Where external counsel is appointed, ensure the SS Legal team liaises with external counsel, ensure the scope of work is defined and appropriate, the quality of work is overseen effectively, legal costs are managed, and that there is appropriate overall matter management.
* Global Head, SS
* Regional Heads of Legal - TB
* SS Management Team
* SS COO
* SS Product Heads
Knowledge / Skills / Experience
* Qualified to practice as a solicitor/attorney or barrister/advocate.
* Experience of managing SS-related legal matters in private practice or in-house.
* Substantial legal experience in one or more of the SS product areas.
* Sharp business acumen (including ability to assess risk and appropriate levels of return), strong leadership qualities, excellent interpersonal skills and multi-cultural awareness and sensitivity.
* Strategic vision for the SS Legal team.
* Sound judgment of business practices, regulatory relationship management and reputational risk.
* Exemplary integrity, ethics, independence and resilience.
* Personal authority with proven ability to establish relationships and provide strong direction at senior levels of the business and the Group, and with external stakeholders.