- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank Singapore
- 30 Jan 18
Senior Legal Counsel
- Location: Singapore
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Type: Full time
Senior Legal CounselJob Description
1. To provide primary legal support to the Global Banking ("GB") and Commercial Banking ("CB") businesses in Singapore.
2. To assist with the documentation, negotiation and review of deals for GB and CB Singapore.
3. To assist in ensuring that appropriate forms of legal documents are used for transactions with adequate protections and remedies for the Bank to address credit and event risk, and to help management determine that transactions with third parties are valid and enforceable in accordance with their terms under the laws of all relevant jurisdictions.
4. To identify and find ways to reduce legal and reputational risk.
5. To control the quality and cost of legal services provided by external law firms.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
1. To provide transactional support for GB and CB Singapore by:
* providing expert legal advice to GB and CB Singapore and, where relevant, product specialists, in the negotiation and resolution of structuring and documentation issues;
* reviewing engagement letters, non-disclosure agreements, facility and security transaction documentation, legal opinions and other documents;
* highlighting any risks which require approval of senior management and assisting the business in escalating such risks for approval;
* ensuring all documentation is valid and binding in accordance with internal approval requirements (including relevant policies and procedures);
* providing GB and CB Singapore with strategic and legal advice and proactively manage legal risks; and
* working with product specialists and relationship/ sales colleagues, and external counsel, where applicable, to structure and document transactions.
2. To assist in the development of standard bank documentation and its periodic review, and propose changes ensuring the documents remain appropriate in light of legal, regulatory and market developments.
3. To provide guidance to documentation units on acceptable amendments to approved standard bank documentation, and review and approve any non-standard documents or material departures from approved standard bank documentation in appropriate cases.
4. To provide innovative, commercially-minded legal support for the development of new products and assist in ensuring product governance.
5. To update or assist in updating standard bank documents at their scheduled renewal or at any time upon the occurrence of any change in the legal or regulatory environment, or market practice that would render them, as originally prepared, inaccurate and/or otherwise inadequate.
6. To interface with our Compliance colleagues on regulatory issues.
7. To handle legal matters relating to the GB and CB businesses in Singapore, including commercial banking activities, marketing and vendor contracts, dispute resolution and litigation and employment issues.
8. To assist the Head of GB and CB Legal, Singapore in Singapore related legal matters to support the on-going business, business growth and address legal risks.
9. To assist in the review and development of new policies and procedures for the terms on which business is conducted, and processes for managing legal risk arising in the course of business.
10. To assist in the selection and appointment of external counsel in relation to product management and transactions, approve each appointment of external counsel and monitor the performance and cost of external counsel.
11. To provide legal advice, briefings, recommendations and reports on material legal risks and issues to business, country and functional stakeholders.
Qualifications & Skills
* Educational background to Bachelor of Law level
* Qualified Lawyer with between 4 - 15 years' post-qualification experience, Singapore qualified
* Experience in corporate banking, including lending, trade finance and cash management and the laws and regulations relating thereto
* Strong analytical and innovative legal skills
* Good judgment enabling the provision of sound advice in difficult areas of law, regulation and practice and the proactive management of legal risk
* Personal authority and integrity
* Independence and resilience
* An inquisitive approach to practices, procedures and specific transactions