Senior Cloud Engineer
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
People and Talent
- Implement a state of the art platform to enable our customers to gain a faster time to market
- Be recognised as trusted partner for business application owners and other technology teams who seek to make use of Cloud based infrastructure
- Prioritise technical resources against a pre-defined roadmap and funding model
- Provide technical design expertise to application and delivery teams
- Introduce & support emerging technology and best market practices to ensure consistent and state of the art systems are built and business achieves enhanced benefits
- Special responsibility for:
- ensuring that platform conforms to Standard Chartered security best practises and is fully consistent with Bank audit and compliance requirements and fully consistent with the design ethos and technical requirements of external cloud providers
- ensuring that all relevant platforms are being efficiently and appropriately supported in SCB Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) toolchains, including identifying opportunities for toolchain and operational practise improvement and refinement, and ensuring that 'infrastructure as code' deployment mechanisms are common and portable across Cloud and non-Cloud environments
- Architectural design and continuous improvement of the platform adhering to regulator and compliance requirements
- supporting adoption of containers and container control frameworks for external and internal Cloud Services, including container platform selection and design, cost and license planning and ensuring that self-service design/deployment/control web containers is appropriate for requirements
- Ensure lifecycle management consists of documentation such as test cases, source code repositories etc are actively used and maintained
- Interact with customers and/or functional peer group managers
- Perform other duties as assigned or required
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from their team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of people, and ensure that holders of all critical functions are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles ensuring that they have effective supervision in place to mitigate any risks.
- Employ, engage and retain high quality people.
- Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Take personal responsibility for understanding the risk and compliance requirements of the role.
- Understand and comply with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, and regulations, including those governing anti-money laundering, terrorist financing and sanctions; the Group's policies and procedures; and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk and compliance matters.
- Embed the Group's values and code of conduct to ensure that adherence with the highest standards of ethics, and compliance with relevant policies, processes, and regulations among employee's form part of the culture.
SERVICE AND FINANCE
- Required - deep expertise in UNIX/Linux server and workload virtualisation, including hypervisors, networking
- Required - experience of deploying highly available infrastructure in a cloud services environment, preferably with Amazon Web Services or other cloud providers such as Microsoft Azure or Google Cloud Platform
- Required - deep experience in multi-tier application architecture, development, deployment, and support
- Required - proficient in one of the following: Python, Shellscript, Powershell, Ansible. Puppet, Chef, Salt
- Required - experience and expertise in Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment practise, tooling, and techniques, particularly evidence of leading organisational and cultural change to adopt CI/CD practises (Jira, Confluence, BitBucket, git; Jenkins, Artifactory, Terraform, Packer, Rundeck, Ansible, AWS, Openshift, Splunk, ELK, AppDynamics)
- Required - experience with at least one type of infrastructure as code product (Terraform, Cloud Formation, Bosh)
- Strongly advantageous - experience and demonstrable accomplishments as a DevOps engineer
- Strongly advantageous - experience and demonstrable achievements in collaborative working with compliance, technology risk and regulatory requirement specialists to design requirements of control frameworks to meet these multi-disciplinary requirements, then successfully implementing solutions that meet these requirements
- Advantageous - extensive experience and demonstrable accomplishments in selecting, designing, and implementing automation and compliance frameworks that are applied to virtual compute resource deployments in the cloud
PLANNING AND DESIGN
- Demonstrates delivering services as a business (understanding and analysing the cost based of a service, controlling a recharge and recovery model)
- Vendor Interaction, understand the product/technology lifecycle (end-of-life) and provide recommendation for changes/upgrades
- Demonstrates tactical ownership for the management and support of assigned infrastructure areas
- Participating in initiatives to maintain a secure, consistent, and effective global technical infrastructure service
PERSONAL AND INTER-PERSONAL SKILLS
- Demonstrates high analytical skills, is self-motivated/directed
- Applies standards consistently across all solutions
- Demonstrates senior level technical skills and ability to successfully complete and resolve complex, non-routine solution designs to address customer requirements
- Demonstrates strategic foresight while employing hands-on technical skills on projects and work assignments
- Demonstrates ability to develop, organize and analyse performance metrics in their given function
- Demonstrates ability to develop, communicate and educate on standard operating procedures within their given function
- Delivers by possessing productivity, professionalism, customer service attitude, attention to detail and quality; ability to multitask; strong interpersonal skills, strong verbal and written communication skills, and adherence to standard operating procedures
- Demonstrates ability to adapt to a rapidly changing environment and ability to take direction from multiple areas
- Comfortable in an agile and fast-moving environment
- Developing Self & Others through Coaching, contributing to Team, continuously learning, and sharing knowledge
- Academic or Professional Education/Qualifications: IT related tertiary qualification or equivalent experience
- Licences and Certifications / accreditations - Associate or Professional level of AWS Certification (SA, DevOps), ITIL v3
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages .