SOC Incident Responder (VP)
Excited to grow your career?
We value our talented employees, and whenever possible strive to help one of our associates grow professionally before recruiting new talent to our open positions. If you think the open position you see is right for you, we encourage you to apply!
Our people make all the difference in our success.
Security Operations Center (SOC) Incident Response Team seeks a highly skilled and experienced incident response practitioner to support critical efforts aimed at protecting Citi infrastructure, assets, clients and stakeholders. This is a demanding role with global exposure and responsibility. You will serve both as a technical subject matter expert and as an ambassador for the incident response team. You will be assigned to Citi's SOC and will collaborate closely with a talented cadre of security specialists and incident responders to react urgently to security events . Your observations and recommendations will impact security decisions across the organization, and play an important part in maturing Citi's security posture.
As an individual contributor, you will be a hands-on first responder who triages and investigates cybersecurity incidents in cloud, traditional (i.e. on-premises) , and hybrid environments. This position will be technically challenging and rewarding, but will also provide ample opportunity to establish partnerships, mentor colleagues and shape team culture. One guarantee is that no two days will be the same. Responsibilities
Related activities include but are not limited to:
- Lead and/or support in-depth triage and investigations of urgent cyber incidents in cloud, traditional, and hybrid environments.
- Perform incident response functions including but not limited to host-based analytical functions (e.g. digital forensics, metadata, malware analysis, etc.) through investigating Windows, Unix based, appliances, and Mac OS X systems to uncover Indicators of Compromise (IOCs) and/or Tactics, Techniques and Procedures (TTPs).
- Create and track metrics based on the MITRE ATT&CK Framework and other standard security-focused models.
- Work with application and infrastructure stakeholders to identify key components and information sources such as environments (on-premises versus cloud) , servers, workstations, middleware, applications, databases , logs, etc.
- Participate in incident response efforts using forensic and other custom tools to identify any sources of compromise and/or malicious activities taking place.
- Collaborate with global multidisciplinary groups for triaging and defining the scope of large scale incidents.
- Document and present investigative findings for high profile events and other incidents of interest .
- Participate in readiness exercises such as purple team, table tops, etc .
- Train junior colleagues on relevant best practices .
You should be all of the following:
A skilled and creative incident responder . Success will depend on your ability to:
- Stay current with the evolving landscape of threat activities and cybersecurity best practices.
- Quickly synthesize information from disparate sources.
- Scrutinize evidence thoroughly to identify relationships and develop leads.
- Establish defensible working theories to explain observations and findings.
- Perform investigations in a forensically sound manner.
A goal oriented individual contributor . Success will depend on your ability to:
- Stay motivated and work independently with minimal oversight.
- Adapt to changing requirements in a fast paced environment.
- Multitask and meet deadlines despite competing priorities.
- Navigate operational impediments in order to complete time sensitive tasks.
- Identify and document any opportunities for process improvement.
A reliable team player . Success will depend on your ability to:
- Practice mutual respect at all times.
- Establish trust and build strong partnerships.
- Resolve conflict in a constructive manner and use as an opportunity to develop team unity.
- Prioritize collective success ahead of individual ambition.
A great communicator. Success will depend on your ability to:
- Establish clear narratives to describe investigative findings and working theories.
- Clearly and concisely articulate any recommendations that arise from investigative activities.
- Motivate colleagues and partners to cooperate and support as needed.
- Exert influence both verbally and in writing.
A passionate leader. Success will depend on your ability to:
Minimum Requirements Education, knowledge, and Experience:
- Lead by example.
- Enable team success by being approachable and available.
- Innovate and inspire self and others.
- Embrace challenges and approach any failures as opportunities for learning and improvement .
Experience in Cloud Forensics/IR
- Bachelor's degree in a technically rigorous domain such as Computer Science, Information Security, Engineering, Digital Forensics, etc.
- 5+ years of professional experience in cybersecurity and/or information security, or demonstrated equivalent capability.
- 2+ years hands-on working in cyber incident response and investigations in medium to large organizations with cloud and forensics components.
Experience in Incident Response
- Hands-on Dev/Sec/Ops experience with cloud environments and underlying storage, compute and monitoring services
- Prior experience with cloud common services
- Hands-on experience with forensic investigations or large scale incident response in cloud environments.
- Hands-on experience with containerization methods and tools (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes) including incident response and digital forensics .
- Certifications (e.g. GIAC, AWS, etc) in cloud or demonstrated equivalent capability.
Experience in the following operating systems:
- Hands-on experience with analyzing and pivoting through large data sets
- Current hands-on experience in digital forensics (e.g. computer, network, mobile device forensics, and forensic data analysis, etc.).
- Activities include but not limited to:
- In-depth experience with Registry, event, and other log file and artifact analysis.
- In-depth experience with timeline analysis.
- In-depth File system knowledge and analysis.
- Familiarity with malware analysis and Reverse Engineering of samples (e.g. static, dynamic, de-obfuscation, unpacking)
- Evidence preservation, following industry best practices .
- Memory collection and analysis from various platforms
- Hands-on experience with a DFIR toolset and related scripting
- Current expertise with an EDR system
- One or more GIAC (e.g. GCFE, GCFA, GREM, GCIH, GASF, GNFA, etc.) or other digital forensic and/or incident response certifications.
Experience in Basic Scripting and Automation
- Windows Operating Systems / UNIX / Mac OS X, specifically in system administration, command line use, and file system knowledge.
Network Concepts and Understanding
- Working knowledge of networking protocols and infrastructure designs; including routing, firewall functionality, host and network intrusion detection/prevention systems, encryption, load balancing, and other network protocols.
Job Family Group:
- Working knowledge of relational database systems and concepts (SQL Server, PostgreSQL, etc.)
- Working knowledge of virtualization products (e.g. VMware Workstation)
- Must have flexibility to work outside of normal business hours when necessary.
- Exceptional candidates from non-traditional backgrounds or who otherwise do not meet all of these criteria may be considered for the role provided they demonstrate sufficient skill and experience.
Technology Job Family:
Information Security Time Type:
Citi is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Citigroup Inc. and its subsidiaries ("Citi") invite all qualified interested applicants to apply for career opportunities. If you are a person with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation to use our search tools and/or apply for a career opportunity review Accessibility at Citi
View the " EEO is the Law
" poster. View the EEO is the Law Supplement
View the EEO Policy Statement
View the Pay Transparency Posting