- Temporary, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank Singapore
- 16 Jan 18
Project Manager - Corporate Governance, ASA (12 months DC)
- Location: Singapore
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Type: Full time
Project Manager - Corporate Governance, ASAJob Description
1. Management and coordination of the company secretarial and corporate governance planning, issues and execution - for a complex intra-Group project ("Project"). The Project will include senior stakeholders from all SCB functions and businesses; and the Project Manager - Corporate Governance will be involved in all governance workstreams.
2. Support the Regional Head, Subsidiary Governance; the Company Secretary of Standard Chartered Bank (Singapore) Limited ("Company"); and the project team in defining and executing high standards of corporate reporting and governance for the Project.
3. Deliver key corporate governance priorities and initiatives for the Project in an efficient and sustainable way. In particular, review existing company secretarial and corporate governance structures, policies and procedures - and provide expert guidance on potential re-structuring.
4. Provide advice to all Project stakeholders (including the Company's Chairman, Chief Executive Officer and management team on board/ board committee structures and agendas; and ensure that the Directors will have the right information to make the decisions/ approvals being requested.
5. Provide timely and relevant guidance to the Directors and senior management on the application and interpretation of legislation, banking regulations, corporate governance guidelines and policies relating to the Project, along with the business of the Company and its subsidiaries.
6. With respect to Project analysis and execution, work with the Legal and Compliance team members to ensure future compliance with applicable law and regulations related to corporate governance (including board composition), and manage the interface with various banking regulators at the working level.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
As a key member of the Project team, provide proactive and high-quality support to the Regional Head, Subsidiary Governance and the Company Secretary of the Company in the following areas:
* Analysis of existing corporate governance structures related to the Project. Identify structural issues which may require resolution once the Project is completed; and work with all Project stakeholders to confirm and execute an optimum corporate governance structure.
* Review and provide advice on various aspects of the end to end board / board committee governance process ensuring comprehensive agendas, high quality papers, balanced minutes and proactive follow up of matters arising. Working closely with the Regional Head and Company Secretary to identify a corporate governance structure which will ensure the Directors have the right information to make the decisions/ approvals being requested.
* Build and maintain strong stakeholder relations with the Project Steering Group and Working Group, along with the Company's Executive Committee members - in each case to ensure that the approach taken to subsidiary governance is well understood and adhered to. As applicable to execution of the Project.
* Provide support and take ownership of certain aspects of regulatory and other official communications required in connection with the Project, including communication with the Monetary Authority of Singapore. Collaborate and engage with GCS colleagues in London and Hong Kong and other relevant stakeholders to ensure efficient and cost-effective processes are adopted while executing the Project.
* Manage functional risk and embrace the Group's approach to operational risk management.
* Provide thought leadership on emerging corporate governance practices and structures. Use expert knowledge and company secretarial experience to review and advise on corporate governance structures adopted by corporate entities and Groups. In certain cases, working with the Company's internal and external legal and compliance advisers.
* Drive and stimulate an environment where forward planning, prioritisation and deadline management lead to efficient work practices and streamlined functional activities and processes.
* Embrace and display behaviours that are both aligned to the Group's focus on collaboration and conduct. Demonstrate high standards of compliance and disciplined ways of working.
Qualifications and Skills
* Be a qualified accountant/ lawyer or a Chartered Secretary with technical/ practical company secretarial knowledge and experience.
* Experience of working within Financial Services or a listed company of substantial size and complexity.
* Attention to detail and a high level of accuracy.
* Proven excellent organisational and planning skills are essential in this role. Project management skills will be particularly relevant and valued.
* Possess the ability to identify and drive opportunities for continuous improvement.
* Good interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate/ influence senior management and stakeholders.
* Possess a flexible and collegiate approach with the ability to contribute to building and maintaining a strong team environment.
* Ability to prioritise workload, work under pressure and manage tight deadlines.
* Reliable, self-motivated and proactive.
* Possess a common sense and commercial approach to problem solving.