Operational Risk Officer - SCVentures
SC Ventures ("SCV") was established in March of 2018 with the purpose of "Rewiring the DNA in Banking" by bringing three distinct areas together:
The eXellerator labs, enabling innovation at large in the Bank by supporting:
Entrepreneurially-minded colleagues as "Intrapreneurs", developing ideas to products, services or new business models.
Collaboration with fintech companies, supported by the SC Ventures FintechBridge, Proof of Concept ("POC") framework and POC funding.
Client engagement on co-creation activities.
The Innovation Investment Fund ("Fund"), USD100m allocated to acquire minority stakes in fintech companies ("fintechs") whose technology has been successfully validated in the Group and is progressing to production (i.e., continuing use), subject to commercial due diligence.
Venture building, exploring new business models ("ventures"), with the objective of providing 'optionality' for the Group in the way it engages existing and new customers and markets. These adopt a start-up model, operating independently of the Group's existing businesses, funded in a venture capital fashion, and under a different governance and risk management framework.
There are c.65 team members (excluding individual ventures), including dedicated colleagues from the Group's support functions, based in Singapore, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Nairobi, London and San Francisco. Key Roles and Responsibilities Business
1. Support development and implementation of the risk governance for SC Ventures, to include:
- Support work on Ventures risk policy framework
- Participate in Ventures Risk committees and forums
- Support BAU processes for risk identification and reporting
- Support operational risk management of SC Ventures
- Participate in third line audits
2. Contribute to the risk management and operational capability of a portfolio of individual ventures (2LOD):
- Review of business and risk management strategy
- Review of risk governance, policies and standards
- Review of risk profile
3. Provide guidance to a portfolio of individual ventures where capacity gaps exist, while maintaining independence, for:
- Development of risk management framework, policies and standards
- Development of risk profiles
- Advise ventures functions to ensure Venture build meets applicable requirements and builds in control by design.
4. Participate in SCV Risk core governance activities
- Support the running of relevant fora
- Production of necessary management information
- Development of subject matter resource / capacity via hiring and training initiatives Processes
• Continuously enhance the OR framework and methodology, keeping abreast of external practises through research and participation in industry forums.
• Support the end-to-end OR process, ensuring a strong understanding and discipline of implementation of OR across teams
• Participate & ensure that for all Second-Line accountabilities within the Operational Risk Type Framework, are being consistently delivered effectively and efficiently.
• Assist in the development and delivery of training to raise the overall skillsets of the function (both technical and soft skills); this to include development and execution of training interventions, e.g. report writing and soft skills
• Fully adhere to - and actively contribute to - all agreed governance (e.g. committees) and other routines (regular meetings, attendance at other forums) for the GORT or, where applicable and requested, that relate to the relevant COEs. Act as an advocate for the GORT, its objectives and best practice in Operational Risk management more broadly where opportunity arises.
• Adhere to such other process and governance requirements as requested by line management, from time to time. Risk Management
• Ensure all activity adheres to the Risk Management Framework, with a specific focus on ensuring an effective framework for the management of Operational Risks within the team as they pertain to the role. Governance
• Demonstrate an awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the Group operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the role.
• Deliver 'effective governance'; capability to challenge colleagues effectively; and willingness to work in an open and cooperative manner with all. Knowledge and Skills
• Strong academic background
• 10-15 years of experience in operational risk in financial services - with broad experience across diverse business models within banking and Fintech
• Strong general experience and expertise within risk management, and experience in digital-related risks (technology risk, ICS Risk, resilience)
• Knowledge of key regulatory and supervisory frameworks.
• Strong stakeholder management, communication and influencing skills
• Project management / PMO
• Creativity and appetite for continuous improvement
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages . We welcome conversations on flexible working.