Compliance, Legal & Governance (CLG) includes lawyers, compliance and governance professionals who serve Schroders’ business across the Investment, Distribution, Product and Infrastructure divisions of the firm. The Schroders legal team operates as a trusted partner, proactively facilitating the sustainable growth of the business. The successful candidate will become a member of the Schroders Asia-Pacific legal team and work in close collaboration with the wider Schroder’s Group legal teams and closely with the South East Asian business.
Who we’re looking for
As a Legal Counsel for SEA, you will be part of the Schroders’ South East Asian Compliance, Legal and Governance (CLG) team (as well as the wider APAC CLG team) that handles a wide variety of matters primarily in connection with the firm’s South East Asian businesses, including in the areas of distribution, product, investment and our Indonesian business. Singapore is our APAC infrastructure hub (Trading, Trade Processing, IT, Finance and Tax Services), and the role also covers these areas.
The role is based in Singapore and you will work closely with the other members of the Schroders’ South East Asian Legal team, who are based in Singapore and Jakarta. Accordingly, Bahasa language skills will be well-received.
What you’ll do
Product and Distribution
- Preparation (drafting/review) of fund-related documentation including trust deeds, prospectuses, information memorandums, extraordinary general meeting papers, investor notices and product highlight sheets for Schroder’s fund products (onshore and offshore) sold in Singapore.
- Preparation (drafting/review) and negotiation of intermediary agreements in connection with the firm’s South East Asian businesses.
- Provision of legal advice on distribution issues in connection with the firm’s South East Asian business.
- Draft and review agreements with service providers, such as transfer agents and fund administrators.
- Draft, review and negotiate a variety of commercial agreements with external vendors/outsourcing partners, such as engagement letters, subscription agreements, platform agreements, digital related contracts, IT contracts and other legal documentation in connection with the APAC infrastructure hub.
- Draft and review intra-group agreements between group affiliates, such as delegation agreements and service level agreements.
- Advise on data protection, privacy and intellectual property matters and other related areas of local law, in close collaboration with the wider Schroders’ legal teams.
- Provide company secretarial support (including advice on corporate governance matters) to Schroders’ Singapore entities.
- Attend to ad hoc legal issues in relation to joint ventures where Schroders is a party and provide legal advice and company secretarial support from the shareholder’s perspective.
- Complete transactions and projects alongside Compliance, Risk and other functions which comprise solutions and advice to our internal stakeholders and external partners.
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
- Qualified as a lawyer in Singapore
- At least 8 years of PQE in a major law firm, financial institution or both
- Excellent command of written English with good drafting skills
- Corporate commercial background, experience in IP / IT and digital related contracts
- Experience working on cross-border matters and working across different cultures
- Familiar with the Singapore outsourcing framework
- Company secretarial experience
- Experience handling funds work with a reputable law firm or asset management firm
- Bahasa language skills, whilst not a requirement, will be well-received and practically very useful within the role given the liaison required with the Jakarta office
What you’ll be like
- Excellent drafting, negotiation and communication skills
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills
- High level of awareness of the commercial implications of legal issues
- Ability to explain relatively complex concepts in a clear and concise manner
- Willingness to learn coupled with a keenness to take a holistic view of issues, priorities, reputational and regulatory risks, cultural nuances and efficient solutions with an independent mind-set
- Team player, able to collaborate across CLG, globally and with our business colleagues
- Ability to work under one’s own initiative as well as in a team to achieve common business goals