- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank Singapore
- 22 Apr 18
Legal Counsel, Financial Markets
- Location: Singapore
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Type: Full time
Legal Counsel, Financial MarketsWe are currently looking for a Legal Counsel, Financial Markets.
To provide legal and documentation support to Financial Markets in the following areas:
(a) Financial Markets (FM) Sales, Structuring & Trading.
(b) Infrastructure and Policy issues relating to FM.
(c) Across all FM asset classes, with focus on credit derivatives.
General Financial Markets:
* Provide general and transactional legal advice.
* Negotiate and complete transaction documentation.
* Review, maintain and manage documentation templates.
* Provide training on legal/documentation matters and legal policies and procedures.
* Provide legal review and sign-off required under relevant policies and procedures.
* Assist in liaison with external counsels and country legal and compliance colleagues.
Identification and mitigation of legal risks:
* Determine adequacy, validity and enforceability of contractual and collateral documentation.
* Manage documentation templates automation.
* Legal knowledge management.
* Assist with review of and compliance with policies and procedures.
* Assist in process governance committees and operational risks committees.
* Assist in management of client dispute resolution, if any.
New products development and roll-out to new jurisdictions:
* Review and provide legal sign-offs for product and country governance documents.
* Design, develop and approve new products documentation and country specific documentation.
* Lead and coordinate with country legal & compliance in relation to global roll-out of new products.
Legal costs management:
* Control, monitor and report external legal spending.
* Monitor quality of legal services provided by external law firms.
* Provide non-panel law firm approvals on a selective basis.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Experience and knowledge:
* Minimally, a degree in Law.
* Qualified lawyer, preferably in a common law jurisdiction.
* Experience in general commercial banking.
* Experience in foreign exchange and derivatives, especially credit derivatives, is highly desirable.
* Experience working in the markets of the bank's footprints (desirable).
Character and skills:
* Strong analytical and legal skills.
* Personal authority and integrity.
* Independence and resilience.
* An inquisitive approach to practices, procedures and specific transactions.
* Ability to coordinate across different functions and geographies.
* Many issues which arise in the course of drafting or negotiating documentation are not legal issues but involve aspects of credit, market, event or operational risk. The Legal Counsel must be able to understand the nature of these risks and contribute to the processes that mitigate these risks.
* Negotiation of document often requires a judgement decision in which a balance must be struck between the interests of doing business and of protecting the bank. Even though the Legal Counsel may not make this decision solely, he/she must be able to make a meaningful recommendation and to provide the decision-maker with sufficient information in order to make an informed decision.
* The Legal Counsel must be able to adapt his/her approach to a range of legal systems which may differ considerably from the system he/she was trained in.