At M&G our vision is: to become the best loved and most successful savings and investment business and we’re looking for people who are excited about joining us on our journey. We’re digitally transforming and investing heavily in technology and innovation to develop new and improved customer propositions that really raise the bar for our customers. To help us achieve our vision we’re looking for exceptional people who live our values and behaviours and who can inspire others; embrace change; deliver results and keep it simple.
The role is to be a Singapore-based Credit Analyst working in the Public Fixed Income team. You will be the primary research analyst for a portfolio of public bonds issued by Asian companies with a focus on China high yield property, as well as India and Indonesia high yield credits, disseminating public credit research to fund management teams in London and Chicago.
You will be part of our growing Singapore-based operations, reporting locally to the Head of the Asia Pacific Origination team in Singapore but with daily interactions with the global fund management team, in particular our Emerging Market Debt and High Yield bond teams based in London.
You will be part of the global credit research function, with teams in the UK, US and Asia. You will be expected to be part of team meetings, cross sector discussions and other collaborative work practices.
Key Work Level Accountabilities: Experienced Colleague
- Accountable for providing a quality service or product to customers and stakeholders, using skills/experience built through significant practical experience or training
- For team leaders, accountable for ensuring the team the role supports is delivering a quality service or product
- Works within established frameworks and procedures, with the freedom to interpret them to solve a range of problems
- Delivers outputs that are clearly defined, using discretion over how to achieve them
- Makes suggestions for improvements to the work of the team, based on previous experience and knowledge of similar situations
Key Responsibilities for this role:
- Produce in-depth and timely corporate credit research on public bond issuers across Asian high-yield credit markets, incorporating ESG factors. Build and maintain detailed financial models, assign internal credit ratings and provide ad-hoc sector/country presentations and recommendations to fund management teams.
- Build expertise in Asian credit markets (primary market trends and secondary market, e.g. index composition) as well as maintaining/building relationships with market participants (corporate bond issuers, sell side analyst community and credit rating agencies)
- Attend virtual/physical (Covid-permitting) conferences, issuer meetings in Asia
- Build strong relationships across the business on a global basis, particularly with fund managers, the analyst teams and the Singapore-based global origination team
- Provide support to the distribution teams in Asia through providing investment based product knowledge
Key Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- 3+ years of experience in high-yield credit analysis
- Experience working in any of the following areas will be beneficial: Emerging market corporate credit research; Property company credit – particularly in China or Asia pacific more broadly; High Yield credit; Mainland China credit market; Private equity, leveraged finance analysis
- CFA or equivalent qualification preferred but not required
- Mandarin speaking skills preferable to support the China market
- Strong communication skills in both internal and external (companies and clients) environments
- Be a team player with ability to work with colleagues from different functions and business units, and in a culturally diverse environment
- Ability to analyse financial information to provide quantitative and qualitative analysis
- Adopt innovative thinking and the ability to work with investment opportunities in new sectors or jurisdictions
- Proactive nature – willingness to read widely (FT, business publications), consider companies / industries / products as part of daily life, and taking this information suggest potential investment ideas/areas of future analysis
- Ability to work in a small team environment with an emphasis on frequent and informal communication
We live by four behaviours at M&G and we ask all our employees to:
- Inspire Others – Support and encourage each other, creating an environment where everyone can contribute and succeed
- Embrace Change - Be open to change, willing to be challenged and able to adapt quickly and imaginatively to new ideas
- Deliver Results - Focus on outcomes, set high standards and deliver with energy and determination
- Keep it Simple - Cut through complexity and bureaucracy, be clear and decisive and never overcomplicate things
At M&G Diversity and Inclusion is a strategic objective. We know that an inclusive environment makes us more accessible and ensures we attract, engage, promote and retain exceptional people. We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender/gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity/nationally, disability, or military service and welcome those who have taken career breaks. We will consider flexible working arrangements for any of our roles.