To lead and manage the delivery of Wholesale Banking business for Financial Institution clients in North and South East Asia principally Singapore, Indonesia, Korea, Malaysia, Vietnam and China ensuring business and team members have the appropriate resources capability, support and commitment, to drive sustainable growth and profitability in line with performance objectives and relevant strategies, plans, policies, standards, procedures, processes, regulations and risk parameters.
In addition, a facilitator role to assist in (i) developing selective corresponding banking relationship complementary to Transaction Banking business and (ii) advancing the distribution network channels with Asian Financial Institutions and (iii) raising liabilities from select Asian Financial Institutions.
Financial Institutions in this JD refer to: Banks, NBFIs (Asset Managers/Insurance/Pension Funds), SWFs and Central Banks.
Principal Responsibilities, Accountabilities and Deliverables of Role:
In terms of the responsibilities required for the successful delivery of the function, the following apply:
- Contributing to One Bank ABC: As a member of the Wholesale Banking Asia team drive the 'One Bank ABC' strategy, actively facilitating cross border, cross-client and cross-product collaboration, to deliver a coordinated and seamless 'One-Bank' to the client experience
- Managing Operational Performance: Plan, manage and control the delivery of your allocated area of responsibility efficiently and effectively, agreeing and reporting on the plans, budgets, resources, KPIs and other management information, to deliver sustainable growth and profitability in line with strategic objectives and risk parameters
- Enhancing Operational Efficiency and Effectiveness: Lead the development and implementation of changes to the Wholesale Banking Asia delivery model, encouraging colleagues to continuously identify and embed innovative improvements, that ensure the Team operates increasingly effectively, efficiently and integrally in line with performance objectives and risk parameters
- Advancing a High-Performance Culture: Facilitate and maintain high performance, continuous learning and client-centred culture, that embraces Bank ABC's values and behaviours, to unite and motivate all staff to perform at their best and strive to deliver sustainable success for Wholesale Banking and Bank ABC
- Leading and Managing People: Set expectations and manage, monitor, coach and develop team members, providing support and guidance, to ensure that they maximize their performance, meet the required standards, and continuously develop their capabilities and experience
- Conducting Research and Analysis: Manage the research and evaluation of factors, trends and best practices for Wholesale Banking in Asia to identify, assess and make appropriate decisions about Wholesale Banking coverage that reflect the opportunities and/or threats presented by new and/or emerging developments
- Executing Marketing Plans: Manage the coordination and implementation of marketing plans for Wholesale Banking products across Asia, proactively engaging product teams and securing any necessary sales support and materials, to enable team members to promote the products in target markets and generate a consistent flow of sales opportunities
- Driving Sales Effectiveness: Drive and embed sales effectiveness and best practice across your team, developing and implementing business development strategies, plans, tools and techniques, to focus origination and execution efforts on the right markets and clients and deliver sustainable growth and profitability in line with performance objectives
- Managing External Relationships: Lead and manage strong and active relationships with very senior external stakeholders, including counterparts, lawyers, consultants, regulatory bodies and other agencies to further Bank ABC's strategic objectives
- Delivering ‘Client to Bank’ Business: Lead the origination and execution of Credit & Lending, Transaction Banking, Capital & Financial Markets and Specialized finance transactions for Financial Institution clients, developing strong relationships with new and existing clients, aligning client needs with appropriate Bank ABC products and working collaboratively with colleagues across Bank ABC, to deliver integrated solutions in line with all policies, procedures, standards, processes, regulations and risk parameters
- Delivering 'Bank to Client' Business: Manage and facilitate the origination of 'Bank to Client' business, ensuring team members are proactively facilitating cross-border, cross-client and cross-product opportunities by working effectively with other coverage and product teams and identifying and acting on potential opportunities in addition to traditional products, to optimize the coordinated and seamless delivery of all Product lines across all geographies
- Implementing the Network Coverage Model: Manage and facilitate the implementation of the Network Coverage model for Financial Institution clients across Asia, ensuring that team members understand and embrace the different roles and responsibilities in the model, to optimize the coordinated and seamless delivery of client portfolios
- Owning the Local Relationship with Clients: Own and manage the Local relationship with Financial Institution clients, understanding client needs, strategy, culture, personalities, customer base and decision making locally, determining the client strategy, account plan and revenue targets locally, driving 'Client to Bank' and 'Bank to Client' business at the Local level and liaising with the owner of the Global/Regional relationship (where present), to ensure a coordinated approach to developing and deepening the client portfolio within the agreed risk appetite and credit limits
- Managing the Portfolio: Manage the development and implementation of active portfolio management (including active management of all reviews, audits and KYC monitoring), establishing profitable relationships with clients, in order to optimize portfolio performance in line with all policies, procedures, standards, processes and regulations
The Group Performance Management and Annual Bonus framework set out the process for reviewing and rewarding performance. Annual Bonus is based on three elements – Group performance, Unit performance and Individual performance. Detailed Key Performance Indicators (including calculations, sources, baselines etc.) are provided in scorecards, but the underlying performance objectives are set out below.
- Group Performance is based on one financial objective, to build core Group profits and at the same time encourage top-line growth and improve shareholder returns through a targeted focus on ROE.
- Unit Performance is based on Financial, Strategic and ARC objectives. The Financial objectives are to grow operating income and improve portfolio profitability. The Strategic objectives are to optimize clients’ portfolio; deepen relationships; gather more corporate and or institutional deposits; and drive more cross-network business. The ARC objective is to meet the audit, risk and compliance performance requirements as defined globally.
- Individual Performance is based on ‘what’ has been delivered and ‘how’ it has been delivered. The ‘what’ is defined in Annual Objectives. These are either stretching ways of delivering the Principal Accountabilities or one-off things required in any given year. The ‘how’ relates to the demonstration of excellent behaviors. These include excellent team working, application of the Corporate Values (3C’s) and adherence to Risk and Compliance requirements.
- Excellent understanding of Wholesale Banking's traditional Credit, Loans and Trade Finance products for Financial Institution clients
- Excellent understanding of credit, loan and Trade Finance management processes
- Excellent understanding of risk management and mitigation techniques
- Excellent understanding of the regulatory environment and obligations
- Excellent understanding of the Network FI marketplace
- Broad understanding of all Bank ABC specialized products
Education / Certifications
- Graduate degree in Finance/Banking, Business Admin or similar
- Advanced/Professional qualification (or similar experience)
- Significant post qualification experience in corporate and/or investment banking or related areas (at least 10 years)
- Significant experience in senior management and management jobs in major banking institutions (at least 6 years)
- Successful proven track-record of leading and managing coverage activities in various geographies
- Successful proven track-record of leading a banking organisational unit across various geographies and ideally in a matrix structure
- Successful proven track-record of excellent client relationship management across global financial institution organisations
- Successful proven track-record of delivering stretching business goals in a challenging and changing environment
- Successful proven track record of developing and executing transformational change
- Excellent leadership & management skills
- Excellent networking, interpersonal, cross-cultural, communication, and negotiation skills
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent creative and innovative thinking skills
- Ability to work accurately, under high pressure within fixed and short timeframes
- Ability to engage and inspire others across organizational boundaries
- Drive for making things happen
- Strong business acumen and commercial judgement
- High integrity and work ethics