- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank Singapore
- 04 Jan 18
Head, Retail Credit & Control Risk Review, ERM
- Location: Singapore
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Type: Full time
* To provide the management of Retail Clients with an independent assessment of the quality of specified portfolios, their risk governance and the degree of alignment between strategy and delivery. This will be achieved by evaluating the effectiveness of the Enterprise Risk Management Framework (ERMF) from a credit risk perspective. * To provide a risk focused, fact based assessment of Retail Client performance on all elements of the Enterprise Risk Management Framework (ERMF).Role Responsibilities:
- To provide the management of Retail Clients with an independent assessment of the quality of specified portfolios, their risk governance and the degree of alignment between strategy and delivery. This will be achieved by evaluating the effectiveness of the Enterprise Risk Management Framework (ERMF) from a credit risk perspective.
- To provide a risk focused, fact based assessment of Retail Client performance on all elements of the Enterprise Risk Management Framework (ERMF) specifically:
- Risk Management Principles
- Risk Management Approach / Quality of the Portfolio
- Risk Management Enablers
- Risk Governance
- Understand and implement the strategic intent and collective agenda for the Function.
- Maintain and develop personal risk capabilities and skills to meet ongoing needs and plans.
- Ensure effective management of the operational risks within the Function and compliance with applicable internal policies, and external laws and regulations.
- Contribute to the continuous improvement of the operational efficiency and effectiveness of the Function's risk management processes.
- Ensure that all work undertaken as a member of the Retail Control & Credit Risk Review function is delivered to the highest standards and within agreed budgets each year.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of work programmes which reflect the current business organisation and operating environment.
- As directed to perform, support and lead the planning, fieldwork and reporting of Retail Credit & Control Risk Reviews engagements to deliver agreed objectives.
- Where guest reviewers are employed by Credit & Control Risk Review, encourage and develop teamwork, and provide technical coaching.
- To identify and escalate significant issues, and ensure these issues are appropriately tracked and followed up
- Undertake a detailed review of the credit quality, focusing on samples of individual credits, from origination, through to structuring, monitoring and report documentation to provide assurance of effective planning, communication, control, and risk management.
- Provide an independent assessment of the credit process and governance against Portfolio Standards, Group Policies and Procedures, and Group values.
- Execute the Credit & Control Risk Review function for Retail Banking and ensure that the programme of reviews is undertaken in accordance with the approved Terms of Reference for the function.
- Ensure that reviews provide a combination of assurance and anticipation; that the reports and findings are accepted by the Retail Banking business, and any actions arising therefrom are followed through to closure.
- Maintain a good understanding of the requirements of key external stakeholders in respect of risk management and ensure these are well understood.
- Maintain an open and cooperative relationship in dealings with regulators.
People and Talent
- Employ, engage and retain high quality people
- Define an organisation structure aligned and scaled to the risk control needs of the Group
- Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives
- Uphold and reinforce the independence of the Retail Credit Risk & Control Review team from those whose primary responsibility is to maximise short-term revenues and profits
- Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of the Retail Credit Risk & Control Review staff, and ensure that holders of all critical functions are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values within the Retail Credit Risk & Control Review team and across the wider organisation
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead the Retail Credit Risk & Control Review team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Operation of Financial Markets; Financial Crime Prevention; The Right Environment.
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Embed Here for good and Group's brand and values in Retail Credit & Control Risk Review team
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
- Market Knowledge: Proven experience in a risk related function, including demonstrated success in a similar role.
- Regulatory Framework and Requirements: Awareness and understanding of the regulatory framework in which the firm operates, and the regulatory requirements and expectations relevant to the Credit & Control Risk Review function.
- Non-technical Skills: Good relationship management skills in a geographically diverse environment, and with key external stakeholders, high credibility with counterparts in the business, demonstrated understanding of and commitment to the Group's core values, excellent communication skills, ability to drive a change agenda.
- Technical skills: Credit Officer, reviewer/auditor or business person who is a subject matter expert in Retail Banking business, including credit and operational risks.
- Education: Degree (Bachelor level) or equivalent professional qualification and 15 years experience.