- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank Singapore
- 07 Nov 17
Head, Data Strategy Risk Finance Compliance, ERM
- Location: Singapore
- Salary: Negotiable
- Job Type: Full time
Please view Job Description for details.Standard Chartered is a leading international bank operating in some of the most dynamic markets in the world, in Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Our successful and sustainable business is built on doing tangible, long term good for our people, our customers and the communities we serve.
* To understand (cross-RFC) requirements for data, and articulate them in a coherent data strategy
* To shape RFC's prioritised book of work for data infrastructure (based on #1)
* To partner with the CDO team in the development of the Data target operating model and to ensure that it is effectively embedded within the RFC organisation
* To continuously work towards improving the control environment around data management in RFC
* To support RFC leadership in maximising the value from Data ("commercialisation")
* To oversee the execution of the data book of work for RFC and partner with relevant (CDO/ CIO functions) technology teams
* Manage small team of risk data management experts to assist local IT and data teams in solving data problems for critical and strategic RFC projects
* Provide thought leadership and facilitate awareness & coordination of Data Science activities across RFC.
Own overall data strategy (data needs, target capabilities) for Risk, Finance and Compliance (RFC) by:
* Taking inputs from all relevant functions infrastructure teams to develop detailed roadmap
* Identifying potential synergies across RFC requirements
* Identifying 'common good' requirements that can benefit multiple areas in RFC/ bank
* Validating with CDO team that the RFC data strategy fits with the overall bank data strategy
* Assemble/ coordinate cross-functional teams to support the data roadmap
* Provide regular status updates to Senior Management of critical data issues or significant concerns
* Work with Risk Control Owners to ensure compliance with the BCBS Principles of Effective Risk Data Aggregation and Risk reporting
Data Book of Work
* Collate across RFC to create a comprehensive list of requirements for data and associated infrastructure
* Prioritise requirements (in line with RFC data strategy) to create 5yr plan and annual "book of work", with special care to avoid duplication and sequence for maximum efficiency and effectiveness
* Refine BoW on a rolling basis based on evolving requirements (periodicity tbd)
* Understand the relevant bank-wide data quality management framework (DQMF) and policy/ procedures, and the implications for 1st and 2nd line owners across RFC
* Work with CDO partners to ensure that the 1st line process/ system owners and project AE's in RFC are aware and own their responsibilities under DQMF
* Co-chair the FRIMGC and/ or other relevant committees inside RFC for data governance, oversee the effectiveness of subsidiary DQ forums and co-represent RFC in the Group IMGC
* Maintain an overall 'register' of data quality issues for RFC, and classify (with oversight from CDO team) into upstream and downstream (i.e., intra RFC) issues. Oversee allocation and resolution of the downstream issues.
* Act as the primary conduit to data custodians outside RFC for escalating and agreeing treatment plans (for upstream DQ issues)
* Facilitate data domain ownership for RFC (e.g., to ensure maintenance of the data dictionary and taxonomy for data elements owned by RFC; working with CDO and Functions ITO teams to define the future roadmap for holding and managing such data)
* Work with RFC leadership to think pro-actively about use case to change processes/ outcomes (i.e., beyond current requirements)
* Work with CDO, CIO Functions and Functions ITO teams to run proofs of concept (jointly with functions teams) in specific areas
* Ensure that projects to productionise PoCs (where found appropriate) are prioritised in RFC data book of work
* Work with CDO, CIO Functions and Functions ITO teams to support RFC leaders and underlying RFC teams in capturing the $ value arising from data-led initiatives
Relationship with CDO, CIO Functions and ITO teams
* Partner with CDO team in the development of the Data target operating model from an RFC stakeholder and user perspective
* Oversee service agreements with CDO/ Functions ITO teams for data and associated services consumed by RFC
* Understand and manage the costs allocated to RFC for data and associated technology
Manage Risk Data Expert Team
* Manage small team of risk data management experts to assist local IT and data teams in solving data problems for critical and strategic RFC projects. This team will have detailed expert knowledge of key risk data, standards, and infrastructure, insight into the target state for risk data and systems, and deep connections to the CDO and EDM teams.
Data Science Thought Leadership & Coordination
* Maintain awareness of Data Science applications and techniques within Finance and other relevant industries.
* Develop & support connectivity and, where appropriate, coordination across Data Science initiatives across RFC.
Additional areas where this individual will be required to provide input but NOT own or lead:
1. Cross RFC requirements
a. Data architecture (golden sources of data in the bank; recommended data flows)
b. Technology architecture and solution design
2. Data BoW for RFC
a. Items not funded by RFC
3. Control environment for data in RFC
a. Defining golden sources to be consumed by RFC teams (unless the data being used is also generated by RFC)
b. Defining new DQ controls outside the bank-wide DQ policy and procedures, or modify existing bank-wide controls (unless explicitly agreed with CDO and OR teams)
c. Creation of new governance forums outside the framework of the bank-wide committee (IMGC/ FORC)
d. Granting access to data from RFC systems or data repositories to users (this should continue to be governed as per normal bank access control rules)
4. Data commercialisation
a. Commercialisation initiatives around data which are business lead
5. Execution of data programmes and management of BAU relationship with IT/ CDO teams
All activities that are meant to be performed by ITO as per the bank's System Delivery Framework (e.g., solution design, functional specifications)
People and Talent
* Employ, engage and retain high quality people
* Define an organisation structure aligned and scaled to the risk control needs of the Group
* Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives
* Uphold and reinforce the independence of the Advanced Analytics team from those whose primary responsibility is to maximise short-term revenues and profits
* Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of the Advanced Analytics staff, and ensure that holders of all critical functions are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles
* Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values within the Advanced Analytics team and across the wider organisation
Regulatory & Business conduct
* Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
* Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
* Lead the Advanced Analytics team to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles: Fair Outcomes for Clients; Effective Operation of Financial Markets; Financial Crime Prevention; The Right Environment.
* Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
* Develop and maintain relationships with external/ alliance partners
* Provide regular and meaningful feedback to the alliance partners
* Risk Finance and Compliance Management Team Members
* Risk COO Management Team
* Finance Operations and Transformation Management Team
* Other Stream leads in the BCBS239 programme
* Global Design Authority
* Group Technology and Operations - In particular, CDO, CIO Functions and Functions ITO
* Business / Front Office
* Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and other key regulators
* Industry Associations and Professional bodies such as IIF, ISDA, BBA
* Key industry alliance partners
* Embed Here for good and Group's brand and values in Group Country Risk
* Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
Minimum of 10+ years of experience in a banking or financial services
Knowledge of data management techniques, tools and regulatory requirements
Knowledge of Data Science, including machine learning.
Proven experience in people management, strategic planning, risk management and change management
Proven experience working across multiple geographies and lines of business in a rapidly changing environment
Excellent stakeholder management and communication skills (verbal and written) covering both senior and operational levels
Strong interpersonal skills to build effective, collaborative, cohesive relationships across all levels of the organisation
Experience of project or programme definition and delivery in an evolving regulatory environment
How To Apply
You can search and view current opportunities across our organisation and apply immediately by visiting www.standardchartered.com and selecting Careers. To help speed up your application, please note the following:
- You will need to log in (or register if you are visiting our careers site for the first time) before you can apply for a specific role
- Some roles may require you to undertake an online talent assessment in addition to completing the application form (to facilitate this process it is preferable that you provide us with an email address as part of your contact information)
- We will ask you about your education, career history and skills and experience, it may be helpful to have this information at hand when completing your application
It usually takes 15 - 20 minutes to complete the application form; you can save your application at any time and return to complete it at your convenience.
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.