ESG Advisory Associate
IHS Markit's Global ESG Advisory team is seeking a sustainability and corporate governance minded expert to join its dynamic team to advise global corporations on corporate governance and ESG matters.
As an Associate in the ESG Advisory team, the candidate will be responsible for providing specialized consulting services to global clients on Corporate Governance topics to support companies on their Shareholder Meetings, Corporate Actions and M&A transactions.
IHS Markit's Advisory team advises corporate issuers, predominantly their management, supervisory board, investor relations and corporate secretary and sustainability teams, on public takeovers, general meetings as well as ESG-related topics including developing their ESG strategy, ESG Benchmarking and Materiality assessment, ESG research and risk analysis. The candidate will understand the impact of corporate governance and ESG factors on investment management and voting and become a governance specialist in his/her market. Responsibilities
The position of an Associate is a multifaceted which requires verbal communications skills, writing skills, research skills, analytical abilities, and financial acumen. IHS Markit provides hands-on training in an atmosphere that fosters teamwork and emphasizes client service. The candidate will be experienced in Project Management and ideally possess a strong interest and understanding of ESG, the Financial Markets, Securities Trading and especially the Annual and Extraordinary Meeting advisory Process as well as managing accounts with various proposal types.
The candidate will be familiar with how Proxy Policies work and how the trading and voting process through the securities clearing chain works in general. The candidate will become an expert in understanding the ESG & governance sensitivities of investors and support our team on shareholder communications campaigns.
The candidate will work in the team of the regional director who s/he reports to and supports with research and reports. The candidate will work closely with other team members within issuer solutions in our global offices to lead projects and ensure quality services to clients.
The candidate is encouraged to work with IHS ESG specialists in other industry groups such as Energy, Agribusiness, Economic and Country Risk (ECR), Automotive, Engineering, Maritime and trade, Climate and Sustainability, Sustainable Finance etc. to support holistic ESG advisory solutions for issuer clients. The candidate will:
- Project manage clients' corporate governance research and shareholder communication campaigns in relation to AGM's, EGM's, M&A and other corporate action type events.
- Write bespoke research reports for clients which will require research and analysis of shareholder meeting agenda items and ESG policies of investors and asset owners
- Organize Investor Roadshows in relation to sustainability, AGM and M&A transaction
- Undertake engagement to institutional shareholders to discuss AGM/EGMs to solicit intentions on meeting agenda or transactional sentiment.
- Be responsible for covering a number of key global institutional investors to keep their investor profiles or 'ESG DNA' up to date
- Contact clients' institutions (including banks, brokers, custodians, plus clearing houses, research bodies) and retail shareholders during campaigns.
- Develop an understanding of proxy voting and M&A mechanics and corporate governance standards across multiple regions.
- Maintain several databases containing contact information and proprietary data.
- Closely collaborate with other team members on developing the market, product and business including improving the operational process for delivery to scale
- Upskill & guide junior members on governance and ESG trends
- Researching ESG and Corporate Governance trends and advising issuers on the ESG/CG risks within their shareholder base
- Have an opportunity to craft and develop daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly reports & feedback to issuers and key market players
- Built up analytical know how to track shareholder movements to combine market intelligence with ESG projections, market sentiment analytics and governance and M&A advisory capabilities
- Regular verbal, face to face and email communication with IHS Markits clients to discuss current projects and strategy to be successful at coming shareholder meetings incl. market watch analytics (e.g. trading activity, sell side trends, shareholder movements)To drive business development and advisory capabilities of IHS Markit's ESG advisory team
- Work with some of the most senior experts in ESG, climate change, sustainability, energy, corporate governance, financial services and M&A globally
• University degree required. Advanced degree and/or CFA designation preferred
• Advanced level in Microsoft Office, Excel, Powerpoint, Planner, Access, Citrix
• A minimum of prior work experience of 2-3 years in proxy solicitation, corporate governance and M&A
• Excellent attention to detail and organizational skills
• Strong analytical and interpretation skills
• Responsive to the needs of our global research team, responding to requests within a reasonable time frame
• Prefer familiarity with FactSet, Bloomberg, Reuters, etc.
• Previous experience with Jira Core will be beneficial.
Asian languages such as Japanese, Korean, Mandarin Chinese and Cantonese' would be an advantage. Job Benefits - "What we offer"
• Highly competitive compensation and benefits package, depending on experience of the candidate
• Options to work from home
• Flexible working hours to allow you to attend your family
• Opportunity to work with world experts in the field
• Strong client base and broad product line Inclusion and diversity are critical to the success of IHS Markit, and we actively encourage applications from people of all backgrounds. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other protected category. For more information on the many ways in which we enthusiastically support inclusion and diversity efforts for both candidates and employees, please access our Inclusion & Diversity Statement here .
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.
For information please click on the following links:
IHS Markit Business Code of Conduct
Right to Work
EEO is the Law
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Current Colleagues
If you are currently employed by IHS Markit, please apply internally via the Workday internal careers site.