Director, Business Governance
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
- Understand and support the execution of the CIB Banking Platform strategy. Work closely with various stakeholders to ensure robust governance and execution within the Global Risk and Control Team.
- Maintain awareness of the wider Banking Platform and Banking Coverage business requirements and support business needs while ensuring compliance with all applicable in scope Policy, Procedure, and Process requirements.
People and Talent
- Management and continuous improvement of Banking Platform Risk and Control governance structure and business processes.
- Provide advice to stakeholders & team members on information relating to Risk & Control governance execution and requirements.
- Manage consolidation and coordination across the global team in an effort to reduce risks, optimise efficiency & ensure best practices.
- Display strong communication, negotiation, and stakeholder management skills on a daily basis in implementation of process improvements and risk management.
- Collaborate with other members of the team to ensure governance and coverage of key risk areas and implement the required controls .
- Ensure up to date reporting of relevant risks at relevant governance forums, raise and escalate risks to higher governance committees where required.
- Maintain a complete understanding of the risk and control environment across the Unified Banking Platform Process Universe
- Highlight risks to management and actively monitor them to reduce the likelihood of occurrence
- Work closely with Regional CDD Risk Managers, other Governance teams and Regional Change Managers to keep track or risks throughout the network and ensure they are appropriately escalated to the relevant governance where relevant.
Regulatory & Business Conduct
- Prepare / review suitability of papers submitted to various governance forums and enforce high standards
- Drive the Global Client Lifecycle model to build synergy between the regions and countries, work closely with Risk Managers & regional heads to share best practices and ensure uniform approach towards implementation of the Global Model and adherence to DOIs
- Support implementation of globally consistent standards of execution of Client Lifecycle policy and procedures and ensure relevant regional/country representation.
- Management and follow up of all regulatory requirements / actions for Client Lifecycle related matters
- Management and follow up of all audit issues / actions for Client Lifecycle related matters
- Monitor, track & respond to Supervisory Remediation Programme (SRP) deliverables and required implementation actions across Client Lifecycle Processes.
- Oversee responses with relevant internal / external action owners (e.g. US Monitor, FCA etc.)
- Manage reporting of the Operational Risk Framework (ORF) metrics
- Work closely with stakeholders internally & externally, including in GBS, and across the network to drive a common governance framework across Client Lifecycle processes
- Engage Country Process Owners to ensure consistent understanding & approach to process governance.
- Display exemplary conduct and live by the Group's Values and Code of Conduct.
- Take personal responsibility for embedding the highest standards of ethics, including regulatory and business conduct, across Standard Chartered Bank. This includes understanding and ensuring compliance with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws, regulations, guidelines and the Group Code of Conduct.
- Lead Banking Platform to achieve the outcomes set out in the Bank's Conduct Principles
- Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk, conduct and compliance matters.
- Operational Risk, CIB
- CIB COO teams
- Banking NFRC members & permanent invitees
- Country / Regional Risk & Control
- GRC/ CCIBRC /GFCRC Secretariat
- Group Risk
- Group Internal Audit
- External Auditors
Our Ideal Candidate
- Embed Here for good and Group's brand and values in Banking Platform
- Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures
- Strong knowledge of Banking Processes with experience of implementation within an international environment
- Strong knowledge of risk governance frameworks & process
- Leadership experience over a business-side risk control function
- Knowledge of all segments in the business and activities with a broad understanding of CIB Banking business
- Ability to create effective work relationships across functions & borders
- Ability to engage effectively with senior management
- Effective collaboration skills that contribute to positive working relationships with counterparts in the business and geographies
- Can work independently to strict timeframes
- Focused, organised and results-oriented
- Proactive and positive with the ability to make good/sound decisions and use independent judgement
- Assertive, tenacious and willing to challenge when required
- Analytical / critical thinking skills
- Interpersonal skills in networking, influencing & decision taking
- Weighing up benefits of short term tactical vs. long term strategic gains to ensure solutions are delivered at the appropriate time.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders
- Good presentation, time management, negotiation and influencing skills
- Knowledge of process improvement methodologies is a plus
- Excellent written & oral communication skills
- Experience of working with senior stakeholders. Ability to influence senior staff and offshore shared services teams and drive change agenda
- Able to take ownership of issues/tasks and apply Project Management best practices
- Knowledge of the local/regional regulatory environment and the ongoing developments
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages . We welcome conversations on flexible working.