At Franklin Templeton, everything we do is focused on one thing – delivering better client outcomes. We do that by partnering closely with our clients, assessing their strategic needs, and identifying the solution or solutions that can meet the challenge. Over 12,000 employees working in 34 countries around the world are dedicated to servicing investment solutions for our clients in more than 160 countries. For more than 70 years our success has been a direct result of the talent, skills and persistence of our people, and we are looking for qualified candidates to join our team.
We are looking for a Compliance Officer/Senior Compliance Officer to join our Financial Crime team based in Singapore.
The Financial Crime Compliance team is part of the Global Compliance department. Global Compliance has more than 100 compliance professionals located in in various countries worldwide. Our team helps mitigate compliance risks facing the company, including material loss, financial loss, or loss of reputation, as well as the possibility of regulatory sanctions that Franklin Templeton may suffer as a result of its failure to comply with laws, regulations, rules, industry standards and codes of conduct applicable to its activities.
Franklin Templeton is firmly committed to international efforts to combat money laundering and the funding of terrorist and criminal activities. We make every effort to remain in full compliance with all applicable anti-money laundering (“AML”) and anti-terrorist financing (“ATF”) laws, rules and standards adopted in the jurisdictions in which we do business. The Financial Crime Compliance team addresses Anti-Money Laundering, Anti-Corruption, and Sanctions risks.
The Compliance Officer/Senior Compliance Officer is responsible under the direct supervision of his or her manager, for all aspects of financial crime matters and projects, focusing on our Asia business. He/she will independently perform compliance monitoring activities and perform other ongoing responsibilities described below.
What are the ongoing responsibilities of this position?
- Assist with the design and monitoring of AML, sanctions and ABC policies and procedures within Asia
- Provide guidance and direction to business and compliance colleague on issues related to AML, sanctions, and Anti-Corruption laws and regulations, and related company policies
- Support the designated AML Officer or MLROs for Asian based companies and funds
- Work with the Financial Crime Compliance team to perform basic and enhanced due diligence, including AML, KYC, Anti-Corruption, PEP, Sanction, and Negative News screening on new and existing relationships
- Assess financial crime risk for new products, investments, processes, vendors, and systems
- Work with business to request additional information from relationships (i.e., intermediaries/distributors, minority interest investments, clients, vendors) for escalated incidents
- Work with Financial Crime Compliance team to conduct annual AML risk assessments of local Asian companies
- Serve as point of escalation and provide support in connection with onboarding and ongoing due diligence matters related to clients, third-parties, investments
- Participate in initial and ongoing due diligence as it relates to financial crime risk of vendors and outsourced providers
- Advise on issues related to complex structures and higher risk customers
- Identify gaps and enhancements based on regulatory updates and recent sanctions, orders and fine
- Identify and coordinate suspicious activity reporting
- Liaise with the Business, Legal, Transfer Agent, Depositary bank and other key stakeholders
- Assist with the development of training for local staff
- Work with local AML Officer or MLROS to respond to regulatory surveys, inquiries or reviews
- Liaise with internal and external auditors
- Participate in Financial Crime related projects and initiatives for overall efficiency
What qualifications, skills and experience would help someone to be successful?
- At least 7 years of relevant experience, preferably at a large financial institution with relevant experience in asset management or international fund distribution
- Significant AML, Sanction, and Anti-Corruption experience required (at least 5 years of experience)
- Strong knowledge of local Asian AML, Sanction and Anti-Corruption regulatory requirements (i.e., MAS, SFC, etc.) and an ability to translate them into operational/process requirements.
- Ability to understand and assess complex products, services, and clients
- Strong project management and client-facing skills
- Able to work independently and collaboratively as part of a global Compliance team
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and the ability to provide viable solutions in a time-sensitive environment
- Fluency in English required, with Cantonese or Mandarin a plus due to regional coverage
- Proficient in MS Office applications such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Potential travel within Asia
What makes Franklin Templeton unique?
In addition to the dynamic and professional environment at Franklin Templeton, we strive to ensure that our employees have access to a competitive and valuable set of Total Rewards—the mix of both monetary and non-monetary rewards provided to you in recognition for your time, talents, efforts, and results.
We believe that being a good corporate citizen is good business. To us, corporate citizenship means being accountable, serving our clients, being an employer of choice, managing our environmental impact, and supporting our communities. An emphasis on corporate citizenship is embedded in our culture and values, and is an important element of how we achieve success.
We are also committed to your learning and development with resources focused around Experience, Exposure, and Education, to help you achieve your professional development goals. Take some time to, meet some of our people, and see what it means to say, “I AM Franklin Templeton.”
Franklin Templeton Investments values diversity in its workforce and welcomes employees from different backgrounds, generations, capabilities, cultural identification, sexual orientations, and gender expression, in addition to other attributes that contribute to a truly diverse and inclusive community.
We regret that only short-listed candidates will be notified.