Commodities Sales Specialist – Agriculture
- Permanent, Full time
- S&P Global
- 23 Feb 19
Commodities Sales Specialist – Agriculture
The Role: The Commodities Sales Specialist - Ags is responsible for the customer experience and revenue growth of Platts Agriculture bank of business. This requires close co-ordination with Commercial team, Channel Partners, Marketing team, Client Services, Content team and Product team. The key objectives of this role is to grow new and existing Agriculture customers through market engagement, sales capability building, bringing customer insights into product development and thoughtful market targeting. As a "sell-through" role, the Commodity Specialist Agriculture will work alongside others to drive their success in Agriculture markets.
The Impact: The role outcomes are meeting/exceeding net-sales targets and meeting metrics around customer experience and sales capability.
Your Skills: Minimum of 5-10 years of B2B sales and/or industry experience (preferably in Agriculture/commodity trading, research, consulting or related industry) with a track-record of achieving revenue targets, developing new markets and maintaining a high-level of customer satisfaction.
- This position will be primarily responsible for achieving net-sales and customer experience targets for Agriculture offers & analytics across the Commercial team in Asia. The role is also required to develop and execute a revenue growth strategy for agriculture markets in Asia and globally, in line with the Platts strategy.
- Responsibilities also include developing and strengthening relationships with our (agriculture) clients, with regular travel to client sites for sales and relationship building, conducting regular reviews with key customer contacts to gain insight into clients' business initiatives, market engagement activities through events and other marketing led activities, and supporting sales efforts to grow new and existing customers into larger contracts.
Understand key customers in portfolio and needs, coordinate with Platts Commercial, Product & Marketing teams.
- Understand the relationship and the information requirements within a complex multi-functional customer base. Strategically understand the Platts sales organization and resources, familiarize with colleagues and understand Platts sales channels and sales objectives and means.
- Participate in planning and executing account management schedule and detailed action plan. Understand key deliverables. Meet and exceed the assigned net sales goal as well as other customer metrics.
- Use the insights gained from Agriculture customers to inform the Product Development, Content team and Marketing team, to ensure that Platts has relevant offers for local markets.
- Lead the development of customer case studies for relevant 'big wins', clearly documenting the value of S&P Global Essential Intelligence to the customer's business operations.
Growth of Net Sales and New Business
- Net sales quota shall be met by working closely with the Sales team and Platts Channel Partners. Growing account portfolio spending on current products by increasing license agreements, volume of usage through the prescribed systems and processes. Grow new Agriculture sales by value/volume, through cross-selling, upselling to analytics and increasing the spent on Platts offers.
- Address and/or escalate all customer issues and concerns.
- Develop strategies to improve the capability of Field Sales, Telesales, Strategic Accounts and Channel Partners through role plays, interactive training, field visits, sales tools and telephone call scripts/key talking points.
Market engagement, Customer Visits, Channel Partner Support, Conferences & Forums
- Develop and strengthen relationships with our Customers and Channel Partners, including extensive travel to client sites for sales and relationship building. Attend marketing & channel conferences, events, roundtables, workshops and forums to promote Platts Agriculture offers.
- Conduct market engagement activities in support of the Platts Asia Strategy
- Support joint initiatives across S&P Global in the Agriculture space.
Account Records Maintenance & Self development
- Co-ordinates with the Commercial team to maintain CRM activity log, monthly reports, meeting notes, accurate forecasting. Communication is critical to ensure Platts has a seamless approach to the customer. Also maintains account plan and profile while identifying potential risk and opportunities for Agriculture business within the account.
- Must hold Bachelor's degree (or equivalent experience)
- Minimum of 5-10 years of B2B sales and/or management experience (preferably in Agriculture/commodity trading, research, consulting or related industry) with a track-record of achieving revenue targets, developing new markets and maintaining a high-level of customer satisfaction.
- Strong solution-selling background with proven experience in maximizing customer value and through coordinated account planning and team approach both internally and externally
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (MS Word, Excel, DB and PPT), Internet and CRM systems.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Demonstrated strong relationship building with customers, markets and internal stakeholders. Strong oral and written skills are required to enable effective communications at all levels within the company and with customers
- Experienced negotiator, demonstrating logical, influencing and consulting skills. Ability to interact at the highest level of decision making with key industry players.
- Ability to independently acquire knowledge of industry, competitors, trends and products.
- Ability to travel 20-50%+ within the territory
S&P Global Platts
At S&P Global Platts, we provide the insights; you make better informed trading and business decisions with confidence. We're the leading independent provider of information and benchmark prices for the commodities and energy markets. Customers in over 150 countries look to our expertise in news, pricing and analytics to deliver greater transparency and efficiency to markets. S&P Global Platts coverage includes oil and gas, power, petrochemicals, metals, agriculture and shipping.
S&P Global Platts is a division of S&P Global (NYSE: SPGI), which provides essential intelligence for individuals, companies and governments to make decisions with confidence. For more information, visit www.platts.com.
S&P Global is an equal opportunity employer committed to making all employment decisions without regard to race/ethnicity, gender, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, marital status (including domestic partnerships and civil unions), sexual orientation, military veteran status, unemployment status, or other legally protected categories, subject to applicable law.