CDO - Data Quality Manager
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
Data Quality ("DQ") is a cross-cutting contributor to the Bank's Enterprise Risk Management Framework ("ERMF") principal risk types. Data quality risk is now part of a broader Data Management risk sub-type, under the Compliance Risk Type
DQ is meaningless as a stand-alone concept. It only makes sense in the context in which data is used. For example, the name of a client is (1) completely irrelevant for accounting, (2) somewhat relevant for credit exposure monitoring (though not the exact spelling) and (3) extremely relevant for sanctions compliance (name must match CDD).
Traditionally, DQ issues have been attributed to lack of 'data quality at source'. The most obvious reasons for poor DQ at source - manual data entry errors and lack of system validations for data quality - are typically covered under existing Risk & Control Self-Assessment (RCSA) implementations. But data in a bank is rarely created (or sourced externally) with awareness of every possible downstream usage of that data. Also, each data element is subject to interpretation and / or transformation, before it finally makes its way to a regulatory or conduct process. Most DQ issues arise from incorrect or opaque uses and transformations of data between source and consumer CDO Function
The CDO function has historically played a second line role for DQ risk in SCB. However, in June 2020, the function was split into two: a second line team which was transferred to CFCC, and a first line team which moved under the Group COO. At this time, the CDO function provides a coordinating role in the first line for two data related risks: DQ and the emerging area of AI related risks (jointly with Model Risk Management).
The DQ role under the CDO will be played through two teams
- The Enterprise Metadata (and other DQ related tooling) team will play a central product owner role for the Group's Enterprise Metadata repository, DQ profiling and reporting, and reference data tooling
- The Business/ function advisory team will work closely with the 2LoD and with DQ-focused teams embedded in businesses, functions and geographies to interpret DQ standards, provide the next level of detailed clarifications where required, and maintain the MI needed centrally to provide the bank's management team visibility into all aspects of DQ risk
At this time, we are looking for individuals to join the CDO team in the advisory team
Successful candidates will ideally have direct experience in Data quality management. However, we also welcome candidates who have one or more of the following types of experience: analysis or execution roles on regulatory reporting projects; data analysis/ visualisation/ analytics (which would have provided an insight into data quality challenges); hands-on roles on data-intensive risk/ finance/ CFCC projects; Operational risk roles particularly around technology or data related topics; operations roles that require attention to data quality; building and running MI initiatives at scale (those that require coordination across multiple parts of the bank and a continuous improvement/ automation mindset) Key Role & Responsibilities
Lead engagement with 1st line teams in Business / Functions/ Geographies on cross functional initiatives and coordination / arbitration / triage - including scope and effectiveness of DQ.
- Provide oversight and play a cross cutting role between the Business and Functions to facilitate consistency of application and adherence to Policy and Standards as well as application of best practice
- Support the uptake of the Metadata repository that holds dictionaries and data flows, keeping it up to date and using it effectively requires ensuring broad-based uptake across businesses and functions.
- Liaison with between 1 st line and Central Data tool owners re adoption and features required to facilitate timely and efficient update and use of Metadata in central tool
- Implement, maintain and utilise comprehensive and timely MI tracking
- DQ control implementation across all businesses and functions that captures the status of adherence to the DQ standards
- Maintain comprehensive MI that captures the status of adherence to the DQ standard as relevant to Group BCBS 239
- Risk & Control Self- Assessment (RCSA) implementation along and where RCSA has resulted in tagging a process as medium or higher risk due to the potential impact of poor Data Quality
- Adherence to regulatory commitments
- Liaison with countries to provide support on their DQ implementations awareness of Group process and controls and maintain an up-to-date understanding of the latest status by country
Our Ideal Candidate
- Design & Monitoring, Data Mgmt. Risk (2 nd Line)
- CFCC Advisory
- Business Embedded 1 st line data team
- Metadata Tool team
- DDO's and DPO's / Delegates
- CIO teams
- DPR team
- Minimum 8 years of professional experience with at least 1 year of a focus on data quality.
- Additional experience in at least one of the following areas:
- SME in Data Quality
- Risk, audit and controls
- Data governance and management
- Data and analytics
- BCBS 239
- Very good communication skills - a team player that enjoy interacting with people of all levels in a multicultural environment.
- DCAM or CDMP qualification will be an added advantage.
- Subject matter expertise in data quality
- Documentation - BRD/ User stories /FSD /Business Glossary/Data Model/Test Strategy/Project Plan, Process Flow diagram etc.
- Report Types - Requirement Matrix/Gap Analysis/Problem Analysis/Business Case, etc.
- Strong data analysis skills using SQL, MicroStrategy or Tableau preferable.
- Proven problem-solving
Soft Skills - Communication, Teamwork and ability to manage relationships with multiple stakeholders
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages . We welcome conversations on flexible working.