Business Intelligence (BI) Manager
Carousell is a classifieds marketplace that makes selling as easy as taking a photo, buying as simple as chatting. Launched in August 2012, Carousell began in Singapore and is now one of the world's largest and fastest growing marketplaces in eight markets (presence in nine countries) across Southeast Asia, Taiwan, Hong Kong and India. Carousell is backed by Telenor Group, Rakuten Ventures, Naver, Sequoia Capital, and Naspers. The Carousell marketplace has a diverse range of products across a variety of categories, including cars, lifestyle, gadgets and fashion accessories . As a team of passionate individuals working together to solve meaningful problems, there is so much more for you to discover in a career with Carousell
We are looking for a Hands-on team leader
for the central Business Intelligence (BI) team.
The BI team serves as the primary bridge between our large datasets and the business, instrumenting and facilitating access to high value information to support data-driven decision making. The person is expected to build a strong BI function with a long term vision of making data as the core pillar of business decision-making. He/she will continuously evolve management reporting to adhere to quality and SLA standards, enable a coherent set of metric dashboards and deliver relevant business datasets in an environment of rapid growth and increasing complexity. As a BI lead, this person is responsible for grooming and developing BI specialists to focus on continuous process improvements through automation, optimization and implementation of industry best practices.
The role will primarily enable the Carousell marketplace business across markets while also collaborating with other Carousell group companies for various data integration projects. This team takes a systems level view to ensure that marketplace indicators (supply, demand and liquidity) are holistically instrumented and made available through self-serve channels to our business leaders and analysts. He/she will collaborate with fellow big-data engineers, data analysts to ensure we consolidate, organise and evangelise our BI dashboards to better enhance the data self serve experience for the business.
This role will be part of the Data group within the Technology function and report to the Head of Analytics and BI. You will:
- Strategise and develop the core APAC BI reporting environment and give holistic visibility of performance through the provisioning of self-service data marts and reports
- Lead a team of BI specialists and build the team's capabilities to solve data challenges for the organization. You will be a hands-on people manager solving BI problems while also enabling the team through prioritization and project management
- Collaborate with Big-data Engineers on the design, development and maintenance of data models (with focus on OLAP data-marts)
- Collaborate with fellow Data Analysts to ensure we are building the right data marts, introduce flexible, smart metric frameworks that help us scale analysis quicker and identify areas of improvement in our BI processes
- Maintain an intuitive and lean BI environment by
- Consolidate and organise key dashboards in the best 'flow' possible so business users can easily navigate them in a logical manner.
- Reviewing, cleaning and removing unused BI assets
- Ensuring data quality through developing gatekeeper, outlier notifications
- Focussing on continuous improvement on data processing efficiency and resource utilization
- Build and maintain thorough knowledge of existing and emerging datasets and metric definitions, ensuring that they are well documented in a metric library and propagated consistently in our reporting
- Be the champion leading the data democratization efforts for the organization. Consistently socialise and evangelise what's in our BI ecosystem so business users can tap into existing reports
- Maintain knowledge on the latest updates of our BI tools so we can leverage new features or capabilities for our BI use cases
- Collaborate with BI teams from other group companies to jointly deliver on group data integration projects
- At least 5 years of experience working in a BI or analytics function preferably with 1+ years in roles mentoring / leading team members
- Experience working within a high-growth consumer Internet company with exposure to large amounts of customer data is highly beneficial
- Experience in organising KPIs and dashboards as well as reading metric trends to evaluate business performance
- Experience in gathering BI requirements and structuring specifications to produce business-relevant datasets and ensure data quality of the dataset
- Passion for democratizing data effectively to the wider organization for self-serve
- Keenness to innovate and improve the BI process beyond basic reporting, seeking ways to add value so that the organisation can consume data more effectively
- Strong communication skills, able to collaborate effectively with both sides of the business and technical divide.
- A self-starter mindset who takes ownership and excels in a lean and fast-paced organisation
- Strong data visualisation skills using Looker, Tableau, Qlik, PowerBI, Microstrategy or other relevant visualisation tools.
- Good working knowledge on SQL and R/Python to perform data querying, building BI models and conducting data analysis. Experience with Google Cloud Platform and Big Query or other cloud-based technology is a plus
- Good understanding of ETL/ELT concepts and their relevant use cases
- Knowledge of analytical and statistical techniques e.g. time series, regression is a good bonus