Associate Director, Business Manager - Treasury COO
About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
The Treasury COO team works with the Treasury markets (TM) to maximize the performance of TM, partnering with the functions and geographies. The Treasury COO team focuses on all aspects of business management with particular emphasis on (i) Growth and Strategy (ii) Investment and Cost (iii) Control and Governance. This is executed through activities such as delivering business development projects, chairing the respective nonfinancial risk committee (NFRC), working with the functions to ensure suitable infrastructure is in place, implementing bank wide initiatives within TM, assessing ongoing operational risk and working to build the foundations for future growth. As such the Associate Director, Business Manager will:
Control and Governance:
- Assist the Treasury COO team with improving and maintaining the level of operational excellence.
- Support the Treasury COO to ensure that effective systems and operational controls are in place and adhered to.
- Assist with governance of the TM business to ensure that we operate within internal and external guidelines. To maintain an overall vigil and work with the Business to ensure operational controls commensurate with the risk appetite of the Bank.
- Simplify and standardise operational processes and procedures.
TM NFRC Secretary:
- Manage the MI packs for TM NFRC (bi-monthly), Conduct forum (quarterly), GCFO Treasury governance review (quarterly) and other ad-hoc MI for Senior management within Treasury.
- Ensure new strategic initiatives are embedded in the governance framework in TM.
- Support group initiatives such as records management, ICS, data privacy, etc.
- Enhance existing controls under TM process universe and implement new controls where required.
- Support the wider Treasury COO team on Operational Risk and/or other control and governance initiatives.
Treasury Conduct forum:
- Co-ordinate NFRC meetings, prepare NFRC materials and maintain documentation including Terms of reference (ToR) and Committee effectiveness review etc.
- Produce the monthly agenda and minutes.
- Work with support function leads to ensure papers submitted to the NFRC are accurate and received in a timely manner.
- Investigate controls exceptions of all potential processes under TM process universe and review these exceptions monthly with functional leads in pre-NFRC discussion(s).
- Provide briefing notes for Treasury COO and Global TM Head.
Operational risk and support to Group initiatives:
- Produce the quarterly Conduct forum pack and track actions for timely completion.
- Circulate the regional conduct breaches to Regional TM desk heads for senior management's awareness and guidance in managing conduct risks.
- Consolidate and compile the Conduct forum MI from various data sources including FMSW, AskHR, emails from Compliance etc.
- Review the conduct breaches with supervisors especially where it concerns disciplinary measures taken.
- Establish and maintain appropriate frameworks and procedures within TM for monitoring, identifying, assessing, and managing operational risks.
- Work with risk owners/control owners to identify and mitigate identified operational risks in their areas which relate to TM.
- Ensure that comprehensive TM product programmes and country addenda are in place and adhered to.
- Ensure that TM operational risk policies and procedures are efficiently and effectively applied.
- Drive integration, as an end-to-end process owner, between TM and support function teams such as Compliance, Risk, legal, internal audit etc.
- Ensure that the support function teams understand TM's business requirements and provide the relevant support of the TM business.
- Drive the resolution of business-critical issues in the risk and infrastructure areas, especially those that involve cross-functional solutions.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Audit Support for Group TM audits.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to network and influence decisions within the business and within infrastructure/ support teams.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- In depth knowledge of TM business practices, methodologies, products and operational processes.
- Prior work experience relating to change management or new process implementation.
- Flexible and responsive nature to handle multiple initiative and changing priorities
- An inquisitive "challenge the status quo" approach to existing practices and procedures.
- Strategic thinker and with a macro dimensional view of the business.
- Knowledge of SCB architecture, processes and systems is an advantage.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages . We welcome conversations on flexible working.