Analyst - Linux System Administrator
- Not Specified
- Permanent, Full time
- 13 Oct 18
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of June 30, 2018, the firm managed approximately $6.3 trillion in assets on behalf of
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of June 30, 2018, the firm managed approximately $6.3 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
Technology & Operations
BlackRock is one of the world’s preeminent asset management firms and a premier provider of global investment management, risk management and advisory services to institutional, intermediary and individual investors around the world. BlackRock offers a range of solutions — from rigorous fundamental and quantitative active management approaches aimed at maximizing outperformance to highly efficient indexing strategies designed to gain broad exposure to the world’s capital markets. Our clients can access our investment solutions through a variety of product structures, including individual and institutional separate accounts, mutual funds and other pooled investment vehicles, and the industry-leading iShares® ETFs.
This position requires hands on knowledge of Linux/UNIX operating systems and server technologies. Should have a basic knowledge of industry hardware types and interoperability. Should have a basic understanding of application software. Person in this role must be able to work with other system administrators on their team located at that site and other locations. The person will work with colleagues regarding builds, patches, updates, testing and sharing results. This person needs to provide operational support for legacy, current and emerging technologies. The global Platform Operations UNIX team is a sizable team of over 40 individuals located in six different regions that support a highly available UNIX environment. We are looking for an addition to the Singapore regional team to support vulnerability management and ongoing operations. The individual in this role will work a Tuesday through Saturday schedule.
Successful performance in this role requires an individual be able to perform these duties above a satisfactory level. The following requirements are representative of the knowledge, skill and competencies required.
- Responsible for operational support and maintenance of 3,900+ servers located globally, running Solaris and Redhat Enterprise Linux. This includes server builds, monitoring, configuration and ongoing maintenance of servers.
- Responsible for ongoing vulnerability management by coordinating and deploying patches and server rebuilds throughout the estate.
- Perform system administration duties across the environment to provide support services for customer.
- Perform system recoveries.
- Maintain server availability for all sites and periodically participate in DR exercises.
- Must have good problem solving, teamwork, communication and customer service skills.
- Resolve help desk escalations and process items in a ticket queue.
- There are no after-hours on call requirements, but the individual should remain flexible for critical situations.
- Troubleshoot and resolve system issues and provide operations support for bridge calls.
- Participate in the development and implementation of UNIX related projects.
- Monitor servers and remediate alerts that get raised.
- Follow documented proceses and procedures is critical.
- Good, clear communication is an absolute must.
- RHEL 6/7
- Solaris 10
- TCP/IP, NFS, DNS, LDAP, FTP, NTP, Samba
- Knowledge of kickstart/jumpstart
- Security and performance monitoring and analysis
- Virtualization (VMware and/or RHEV)
- HPOV tool suite (monitoring software experience)
- Veritas products: VxVM, VxFS, VCS and VVR
- Experience with Puppet and shell scripting; Perl or python is a plus.
- Server hardware (HP Proliant, Sun/Oracle)
- Conceptual knowledge of storage and networking components
- Experience with Windows Server is a plus
- A minimum of 3 - 8 years comparative industry experience
- Degree preferred
- The position will be required to work on shifts. These shifts will also cover the weekends.
- Work days could be staggered over the week
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.