Analyst/Associate– Risk and Quantitaive Analysis-Alternatives (Private Credit & Infrastructure Debt), Asia Pacific
- Not Specified
- Permanent, Full time
- 18 Feb 18 2018-02-18
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of December 31, 2017, the firm managed approximately $6.288 trillion in assets on behalf of
BlackRock helps investors build better financial futures. As a fiduciary to our clients, we provide the investment and technology solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of December 31, 2017, the firm managed approximately $6.288 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide. For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com | Twitter: @blackrock | Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock.
BlackRock is one of the world’s preeminent asset management firms and a premier provider of global investment management, risk management and advisory services to institutional, intermediary and individual investors around the world. BlackRock offers a range of solutions — from rigorous fundamental and quantitative active management approaches aimed at maximizing outperformance to highly efficient indexing strategies designed to gain broad exposure to the world’s capital markets. Our clients can access our investment solutions through a variety of product structures, including individual and institutional separate accounts, mutual funds and other pooled investment vehicles, and the industry-leading iShares® ETFs.
Business Unit Overview:
The Risk & Quantitative Analysis (RQA) group performs the risk management activities and quantitative analysis functions at BlackRock. RQA’s principal responsibility is to ensure that the risks in the portfolios managed by BlackRock are fully understood by our portfolio managers and consistent with our client’s objectives and to know the risks by thoroughly understanding the investments and providing the best analytics and tools. The group helps portfolio managers apply proprietary techniques for portfolio construction. RQA works closely with portfolio managers and business heads on a daily basis. The team also provides independent risk oversight for senior management of the firm and the board of directors.
We are seeking individuals who combine strong analytical capabilities and communication skills and can solve challenging problems in the investment management process working under the direction of senior risk managers in the Alternatives area with focus on Private Credit and Infrastructure Debt. They will work closely with portfolio managers on various market and portfolio analyses by employing superior influencing skills to help inform the investment process and improve portfolio design. People who successfully demonstrate these skills can ultimately go on to a wide range of professional opportunities within RQA and Black Rock. Key responsibilities include:
- Prepare materials for and participate in meetings between RQA and portfolio managers to discuss risk and performance of client portfolios.
- Assist in creating investment risk analyses and reports for portfolio managers and senior management of RQA.
- Conduct portfolio reviews alongside senior risk managers to ensure a thorough evaluation of portfolio risk
- Analyze corporate financial statements to assess corporate credit and free cash flow of private borrowers
- Reviewing new investment memos, posing thoughtful questions and constructively challenging all new investments.
- Reviewing portfolio and business performance against objectives and relative to benchmarks or comparable peers. Employing a creative approach to risk management, modeling and scenario analysis
- Working with senior risk managers and each investment team to design and implement appropriate analytical tools and reports to effectively monitor risk, communicate changes in risk appetite, and enhance decision making
- Develop insightful analytics and proprietary techniques for risk and performance measurement on the Asia Pacific Private Credit & Infrastructure Debt portfolios and collaborate with portfolio managers and technology to implement them
- Use strong programming skills to automate analytics generation. Work with senior risk managers to optimize processes through the smart use of technology.
- Assist reputation risk screening of borrowers
Knowledge / Experience Required:
We are seeking qualified candidates with a particular emphasis on the following experience:
- 2-4 years of professional experience as a risk manager/ credit analyst/ analytics or as acquisition underwriter, investment manager or portfolio manager within financial services industry
- Previous industry experience with private debt/loans, mezzanine finance, distressed debt, including commercial banking, middle market direct lending, or real asset equity or debt investing in Asia Pacific
Skills / Qualifications Required:
- Undergraduate or Graduate degree in an analytical, financial and or technical major (e.g. economics, finance, mathematics, statistics, engineering, computer science, etc.).
- Strong knowledge of statistical tools (such as Excel VBA, S-Plus, R, SAS or Matlab). Additional knowledge of some programming languages (such as C, C++, Python) and/or familiarity with SQL are strongly desired.
- GARP, PRMIA, CAIA, Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation is a plus
- Solid communication and presentation skills (verbal and written).
- Attention to detail, a strong work ethic and ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- High level of self-motivation.
- Robust quantitative skills along with demonstrated analytical ability.
- Strong interest in Private Credit & Infrastructure Debt markets in Asia Pacific
- Strong ethical compass, demonstrable integrity and a commitment to doing the right thing.
- English fluency required. An additional Asia Pacific language (e.g. Mandarin, Hindi or Indonesian) is strongly desired.
- Ability to rapidly learn our infrastructure and proprietary tools and handle detailed reporting and presentation requirements a must
- Highly organized and able to adhere to tight deadlines
BlackRock is proud to be an E-Verify & Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer—M/F/D/V.
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.