APAC Head, Tax Middle Office
- Permanent, Full time
- Northern Trust Company
- 11 Dec 17 2017-12-11
APAC Head, Tax Middle Office
The Operations and Technology vision statement effectively lays out the objective for Securities Operations "Achieve a sustainable and scalable global operating model that anticipates change and provides reliable 24 x 7 availability of actionable information and consultative service that delivers client defined quality at a competitive cost and acceptable level of risk".
This role requires excellent communication skills and an outstanding ability to forge close working relationships with both internal and external clients, putting themselves into the minds of clients to anticipate requirements.
Reporting to the Global Head of International Tax Services in London, this role will be a key player in a Global Team comprising of tax specialists, responsible for ensuring the tax profile of the clients are correct and that their investment methodologies are understood; This role will ensure that the documentation requirements and tax rates in the markets that our clients are active are understood and are obtained to achieve tax relief at source in all available markets; Active participation in client visits, industry forums and close liaison with sub custodians will all be a regular feature of this role.
A working knowledge of the securities markets and fund management would be an advantage in addition to strong Asset Servicing experience.
- Monitor changes in every tax regime covered by the company, ensuring changes are translated into both operational procedures but also announcements that are transmitted to clients; Lead and manage technical briefings for client facing staff
- Work with the Sales and Client On-boarding teams, demonstrating the value add of a high performance tax function
- Liaise and consult with Sovereign Wealth Funds, Government entities, hedge funds and other complex legal entities who make up our client base
- Oversight, tracking and general management of all client queries in the APAC region
- Maintain effective dialogue with tax authorities to continuously improve the servicing of our clients
- Active planning and participation in client visits, presenting their tax reclaim and documentation statuses
- Oversight of all technical queries and ensures that Relationship Management team have timely and complete information
- Leadership and management of the APAC Tax Middle Office in Manilla
- Overview and consultancy to the Tax Operational teams in Bangalore
- Validation of client tax status eligibility, including partnerships and tax transparent vehicles, ensure that tax rates are accurately populated in our systems. Additionally provide technical oversight to ensure clients positions are held in the appropriately designated sub accounts at our agents
- Analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of current operational processes and work to deliver measurable improvements to productivity and client service
- Attendance at industry forums
- Provide risk and control briefings for senior management in respect of client servicing, risk management and strategic planning; Review and assist in the harmonization of tax risk management, process and control frameworks across business lines
- Ensure the client on-boarding process effectively produces the correct tax profile of new clients in respect of their investment in existing and planned markets; Carry out periodic testing of the validity of client profiles
- Take an active participation in the design and implementation of new products, to ensure the operational response meets requirements and can be adequately controlled
- Manage the operational risk within the entire process, through the identification of risk points, adherence to procedures and that adequate skilled resources are maintained; Ensure that no claims reach "out of Statute" status, thereby limiting our risk of financial loss and reputational damage with clients
- Fundamental technical knowledge of Tax Operations, gained through significant exposure to business disciplines, operating at a senior level
- A strong educational background, including industry related qualifications
- Bright, articulate and entrepreneurial with a demonstrated ability to navigate through obstacles, work under pressure and successfully deliver to tight deadlines in a fast moving business Environment
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong presentation skills, ability to get concepts over effectively
- Good writing skills, an ability to form cohesive and persuasive documents is a must
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to get the best out of people is a core competence
- Minimum tertiary level education but a fully qualified accountant or legal degree would be preferable
- Solid knowledge of withholding tax, tax documentation and tax reclaim is required
- Familiar with QI regime, FATCA and other regulatory driven tax environments is highly desirable
For more than a century, Northern Trust has worked hard building our legacy of outstanding service, expertise and integrity. From a Chicago-based bank founded in 1889, we now have more than 20 international locations and 16,500 employees globally. We serve the world's most-sophisticated clients - from sovereign wealth funds and the wealthiest individuals and families, to the most-successful hedge funds and corporate brands.
We burnished our reputation as a global leader delivering innovative investment management, asset and fund administration, fiduciary and banking solutions enabled by sophisticated, leading technology. And through it all, we continually laid a solid, forward-looking foundation on which future generations can continue growing and achieving greater.
As of September 30, 2017, Northern Trust Corporation had:
- $131 billion in banking assets
- $7.8 trillion in assets under custody
- $9.7 trillion in assets under custody/administration
- $1.1 trillion in assets under management