See job description for details
MORE ABOUT THIS JOB WHO WE ARE
The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and high-net-worth individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in London, Frankfurt, Tokyo, Hong Kong and other major financial centres around the world.
Private Wealth Management (PWM) is part of the Investment Management Division of Goldman Sachs. PWM provides a comprehensive range of investment services, including discretionary investment management, investment advice, brokerage services and lending, to wealthy individuals and families worldwide, across a diversified range of asset classes, including equities, fixed income, structured products, derivatives, hedge funds and other alternative investments. PWM in EMEA focuses primarily on individuals, families and family offices based in EMEA, who invest through a wide variety of investment vehicles including corporates, trusts, partnerships, regulated and unregulated funds, in a broad range of jurisdictions. Currently, PWM in EMEA is supported by six lawyers in London with other lawyers in Zurich and Frankfurt, all of whom regularly work closely with colleagues in PWM Legal in the US and Asia.
THE LEGAL DEPARTMENT
The Goldman Sachs Legal department spans offices across 23 cities worldwide, from which we provide counsel and advice to support the global activities of the firm and our clients. Our focus is on providing the highest quality legal advice while managing regulatory and reputational risk. Whether you are an experienced lawyer or have other relevant experience combined with an interest in financial law and strong critical thinking skills, our team might be right for you.
OUR DEPARTMENT CULTURE
As a department we are focused on our people and their development and are committed to creating an environment that is diverse and inclusive. We offer numerous training and career development opportunities including a weekly legal training programme, department mentoring schemes and a people development committee tasked with providing tangible tools to help manage and develop careers. The department also has a number of active and varied committees including the Diversity, Pro Bono, Charity and Social Committees and encourages participation in the Women's, Black and LGBT firmwide affinity networks.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS ROLE RESPONSIBILITIES
We are looking to recruit an enthusiastic, proactive and resilient candidate who is interested in a technically challenging and rewarding transactional role. The role requires the ability to work independently from day one and to manage a diverse and complex workload meeting tight deadlines. Lawyers in the PWM team work closely with a diverse group of clients across the PWM business and the broader Legal Department and thrive on the pressures of delivering consistently high quality advice to a dynamic and constantly evolving business.
- Advising PWM product specialists (i.e. the Market Solutions Group which is effectively the PWM trading team) and working with legal colleagues in the Securities Division of GS on all aspects of product development, documentation and trading, including fixed income securities, FX, mutual and alternative funds, structured products, ABOs and over-the-counter derivatives (including funding).
- Advising on the current regulatory regime in the UK and other jurisdictions, both in the EU and elsewhere, as well as the analysis and implementation of new regulations in relation to derivatives including, among others, clearing obligations; margin requirements; PRIIPs; best execution obligations and product governance.
- Advising and liaising with PWM compliance professionals on a wide range of issues, such as interpretation of regulations, account activity and surveillance.
- Advising on policy development - introducing new policies in response to new legislation and revising current policies to meet the needs of the business, particularly as these relate to PWM's trading activities.
- Liaising with other lawyers in the Goldman Sachs Legal Department globally in relation to specific product or other issues, including derivatives, equity capital markets and litigation.
- Liaising with outside counsel on a broad range of domestic and cross border jurisdictional issues, including licensing and selling restrictions, licensing obligations as they apply to any new branch or representative office, enforceability of derivative contracts, netting and collateral enforceability.
SKILLS / EXPERIENCE
We are targeting qualified lawyers in the 2-5 years PQE range with primarily transactional experience in derivatives. Regulatory experience in derivatives and related areas would be beneficial. Candidates are expected to have relevant post-qualification experience either with a reputable law firm or as in-house counsel. Knowledge of a major European language would be useful.
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc. is a leading global investment banking, securities and investment management firm that provides a wide range of financial services to a substantial and diversified client base that includes corporations, financial institutions, governments and individuals. Founded in 1869, the firm is headquartered in New York and maintains offices in all major financial centers around the world.
© The Goldman Sachs Group, Inc., 2019. All rights reserved Goldman Sachs is an equal employment/affirmative action employer Female/Minority/Disability/Vet.