Senior Strategy Associate
- Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
- Permanent, Full time
- 17 Apr 19
Senior Strategy Associate
We're looking for a Strategy Senior Associate within Booking.com's Strategy department. As a Strategy Senior Associate you will be responsible for defining strategy and solving key strategic questions for the overall Booking.com organization. In this unique role you will be working on high-impact, challenging and cross-functional projects, with direct exposure to senior leadership.
The Strategy team is a young team that supports the Leadership of Booking.com with key strategic questions, by effectively breaking down the problem, executing independent analysis and delivering actionable recommendations (and implementation where needed). Topics and projects can be driven by leadership or by the strategy team proactively. In solving such questions you will have a high amount of autonomy and will work in close collaboration with internal stakeholders across all levels of the organization. Examples of strategic questions might be "How can we scale our operations?", "Where should we allocate our investments?" or "Which travel vertical should we double down on?". Next to the stand alone strategic projects the Strategy team is involved in guidance and management of business operations (e.g., the annual strategic planning cycle, and the budget cycle).
Booking.com is the world's leading accommodation site, and the third largest e-commerce company, but boasts a small, start-up feel. We are looking for a results-driven, rigorous problem-solver with a sharp analytical mind, who is able to think creatively and has excellent communication skills. Most importantly, we are looking for someone who gets excited about the opportunity to solve key strategic questions in a data-driven environment to enable long term Booking.com success to achieve our vision to empower people to experience the world .
- Work collaboratively with business unit partners and corporate support teams to drive enterprise strategy execution and partner on segment or functional strategy projects
- Evaluate the performance of current business operations and recommend strategies and tactics to achieve business goals
- Support and/or lead elements of the annual / quarterly strategic planning process including linking the annual budgeting process with the long range strategic planning process
- Prepare presentations for senior management
- Types of analysis could be (but not limited to) Competitive market analysis; Financial & operational internal data analysis; Qualitative analysis based on interviews and desk research; Collaboration with data science and research teams
- Build problem-solving framework to break down and structure complex issues; synthesize analysis into actionable key trends, implications, and/or recommendations
- Communicate recommendations supported by a compelling storyline to key stakeholders to ensure impact and build consensus among cross-functional teams and influence decision-making with senior-level audiences
- Contribute to the growth of the young but highly impactful team within Booking.com in various ways (defining processes, sharing work, analysis etc).
- 7+ years experience in consulting, corporate strategy/development, business development, corporate strategic planning, or investment banking
- Expertise in technology, ideally in travel, e-commerce, retail, payments, and/or consumer facing products is highly desirable
- Skilled in strategy development, including project scoping, hypotheses development, financial and business modeling, strategic options identification, consensus building, and implementation
- Project management skills, able to influence stakeholders at all levels of the organization
- Creativity and "out of the box" thinking that drives innovation
- Ability to distill complex business issues and strategies to highlight insights and actionable recommendations in a concise and persuasive manner
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to take ownership, entrepreneurial, proactive with positive attitude, a self-starter
- Knowledge of SQL and other data gathering and analysis techniques is a plus