Principal Mobile Developer (Android)- Accommodationss
At Booking.com, data drives our decisions. Technology is at our core. And innovation is everywhere. But our company is more than datasets, lines of code or A/B tests. We're the thrill of the first night in a new place. The excitement of the next morning. The friends you make. The journeys you take. The sights you see. And the food you sample. Through our products, partners and people, we can empower everyone to experience the world.
With over 1.6 million room nights booked every day, accommodation represents the largest share of our business to date. Our mission is to deliver the best customer experience and the most varied selection of properties.
At Booking.com we combine the best traits of a start-up with the resources of planet Earth's #1 accommodation website. We are working towards creating the ultimate travel experience, building and improving great products for both travelers and the accommodation partners.
You will be joining the Mobile Apps Quality organization. Your focus will be to make sure customers are happy with the Booking.com guests apps, by making sure those apps are fast and reliable.
Our apps have been very successful so far, and we want to build the foundation for the next stage of our growth. Therefore your focus will also be with the Booking.com mobile developer community, and will include some or all of the following areas: figuring out component-based and back-end-driven UI at a large scale, helping with and maintaining a completely modularized mobile code base, contributing to building a top-notch development toolchain, and getting involved in the redesign of our massive mobile backend platform. B. Responsible
- Can design and deliver a solution that allows developers without app-specific experience to rapidly create and deploy features on apps.
- Serves as a tech lead on large scale apps-related projects
- Hands-on development of proof of concepts and evaluation of new technologies
- Implement technical strategic decisions in cross-functional teams
- Works closely with product owners and engineers to design, implement, continually improve highly scalable applications and services
- Provides technical guidance to other team members
- Maintains a current understanding of industry and technology trends
- Communicates and enforces coding standards
- 12+ years of software development experience, minimum 3 years in lead/architect role
- 5+ years of experience developing native Android apps
- Proven hands-on experience in designing, building, improving and operating high-performance, highly-available and scalable apps in a fast growing environment
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming languages, Android fundamentals, architecture components, and best practices
- Fluency in Java and Kotlin
- Experience with developing automated mobile app tests
- Experience with development, continuous integration and deployment of large Android projects
- Experience with continuous integration, profiling and optimizing an app
- Experience with Agile development methodology (e.g., Scrum)
- Ability to convince, provide work direction and leadership to colleagues who do not directly report to this role
- Experience mentoring and growing (senior) developers, not through reporting lines, but through thorough and convincing communication is preferred
- Excellent communication skills. Demonstrated ability to use data to influence and drive decisions
- Excellent troubleshooting skills
- Strong customer focus and passion for doing the right thing for the customer
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioral and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
Booking.com is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We strive to move well beyond traditional equal opportunity and work to create an environment that allows everyone to thrive.