The Middle Office team performs reconciliations, facilitates the processing of trades, and liaises with internal departments and external counterparties to resolve trade and settlement discrepancies. The team continuously seeks opportunities to improve its systems and methods, develop new and better ways of doing things, and increase its efficiency through the use of programming tools. The Middle Office team obtains knowledge about procedures and processes and actively shares information about new developments within the global organization.
A day in the life
The team begins each day by performing position and PnL reconciliations based on the previous day’s ending data. This is crucial to ensure the firm has accurate data to begin the trading day with. Next, the team will work on resolving trade breaks and fails. The team has an array of tools to help it identify breaks and help decide on and enact what is necessary to resolve them. Each day presents new challenges and the chance to learn more. Throughout the day, the team is working closely with internal departments and external counterparties to resolve any settlement issues. At the end of the trading day, the team will facilitate the processing of trades to ensure reporting is properly set up for the next day’s reconciliations. The team’s responsibilities are rotated such that all members of the team get the opportunity to learn about and work on all facets of the group. The key is to analyze the root of the problem and prevent it from happening again.
What you will work on
- Position and PnL Reconciliation;
- Trade Booking;
- Trade and Settlement Break Resolution;
- Position Management;
- Developing new tools to streamline the team’s processes;
- Liaising internally and externally to solve problems and create solutions;
- Ad-hoc requests/projects.
What you need to succeed
- 2 - 5 years of experience in Operations, Risk Management, or IT;
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and VBA, working knowledge of SQL;
- Experience with Python and/or C# is advantageous;
- Previous experience in a similar role preferred;
- Excellent English communication skills;
- Detail oriented and eager to detect and address the root cause of issues;
- Demonstrated ability to develop or build scalable process improvements;
- A proactive and flexible mentality
- Proven analytical skills;
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Math, Computer Science, or Economics.