GBMC Head of Cash & Liquidity Management
Business: Markets & Securities Services Open positions: 1 Role Title: GBMC Head of Cash & Liquidity Management Global Career Band: 4 Location (Country / City) : Malaysia Recruiter Name: Norhidayah ABD RAZAK Why join us?
This role is a critical senior leadership position, heading up the Cash and Liquidity Management (CaLM) function across both of the GBMC sites in Kuala Lumpur and Manila. This role will initially have an entity reporting line into the Markets Operations Site Lead in Manila, and a functional reporting line into the Global Head of Cash Management in London. This role will provide overall leadership to the existing CaLM teams covering all Risk Hubs, Satellite and Professional site legal entities supported across the 2 sites.
Key responsibilities will primarily be focused upon overall accountability for day to day Run The Bank funding and liquidity management activities, primary escalation point for all funding desks supported across the sites, continuous improvement and execution of the GBMC CaLM Risk and Control framework with onward escalation into the Cash Services RCM and prominent participation in the design and delivery of the global CaLM strategy in line with the direction set by the Global Head of CaLM. This is vital to ensure that the function is able to preempt and help shape the strategy implementation roadmaps of its key stakeholders.
The incumbent for this role will need to be able to lead independently as well as being able to guide, develop and engage all members of the CaLM teams to produce the highest standards of excellence to location, who will have specific accountability for all legal entities across their sites.Responsible for the day-to-day management of the GBMC CaLM teams across the 2 sites, with entity responsibility for 2 VPs, 4 AVPs and their broader teams
Accountable to senior stakeholders and Funding Managers (MKTY / FX trading) for the provision of CaLM service levels for all applicable entities.
Primary contact working closely with Business Partners & Stakeholders to ensure the effective and timely delivery of all CaLM strategic enhancements
Partner with Global Head of CaLM to refine and deliver strategic planning activities, and deliver objectives aligned to the global strategy for CaLM, including CMS v2.9 upgrade and IDLM implementation
Act as senior point of escalation and represent CaLM in all entity-aligned Change and Regulatory programmes
To develop the management and leadership capabilities within CaLM, focusing on a diverse and inclusive succession plan to ensure we meet current and future operational requirements
Implement and refine all TOM-related activities to improve service provision eg Follow The Sun, FO Self-Serve and Tiered Service funding models
- Responsible for delivering continuous improvements to the Risk and Control framework of CaLM, ensuring all operational risk opportunities are minimised.
- Establish and grow appropriate metrics to monitor controls, productivity and service levels
- Develop a strong personal technical capability in cash and intraday liquidity management
- Partner with CMS & IDLM Product Owners to deliver liquidity and payment flow management capabilities
- Deliver all inbound migrations within agreed milestones. Ensure appropriate load-balancing of resourcing vs process risk across the 2 sites
Partner with L1 & L2 Process Owners across MSS Operations to ensure smooth operation of CaLM services, and successful delivery of upstream system and process change programmes Ensure the BCP plans are robust and tested appropriately. Support split-site processing across KL and Manila and continue to rebalance activities between the two sites to ensure full contingency capability What you'll do: Impact on the Business
Adherence to KRI & KPI targets as set by CaLM
- PLA-compliant projections sent to FO
- Accuracy of payments generated using CMS, Treats and GPS.
- Accuracy of transactions - ODI
- Client money breaks assigned to the team
- MI of short and significantly long accounts
All KRIs are to be logged daily, aged with owners, root causes and mitigation plans where known.
Control framework adherence around GEMS, DES, DMI and open Helios points
Management and ownership of KRI targets are set alongside CCO and each region, engagement in regular RCM meetings to explain numbers; input into the monthly Global MI packs, and reviewing offshore controls and issues with regional management. Success criteria:
Customers / Stakeholders •
- Implement optimal structure and capacity planning and execution process, challenging the status quo where appropriate
- Implement strategic agenda as set out by Cash Services ExCo. Build and maintain clear governance of new business volumes, growth and systems architecture
- Oversee a robust & ongoing technical and process training program for staff including depth charts to assess progress
- Change activities delivered on time with appropriate governance and escalation in place
Global MSS Operations
• Global Trading Desks
• Digital Business Services
Partner and Input into Operating Model Strategy & participate in to strategic global Initiatives Key deliverables:
Leadership & Teamwork
- Implement and enhance CaLM Target Operating Model
- GBMC split-site process between KL & Manila and appropriate load balancing
- Ongoing development of key stakeholder relationships
- Implement formal stakeholder engagement and feedback loop process to deliver against 'voice of the customer' requirements
- Input & delivery (where appropriate) in to the Global Change program
- Full regulatory compliance as required Active participation in the Cash Services strategy definition & agenda
- Measure and improve customer satisfaction scores across MSS Ops peers
Deliver Offshoring Strategy
Engagement in Group-wide initiatives
Lead People agenda
- Complete migration of all in scope sites
- Migrate all Ops tasks from MKTY into CaLM from identified sites
- Leverage opportunities in regional CaLM teams to improve the network and support transformation
- GBMC-wide learning & INSPIRE initiatives
- Timely Exchange sessions & Town halls
Key areas of focus:
Major Challenges (The challenges inherent in the role that require a continual test of the role holder's abilities)
- Create an open, transparent, communicative environment, where success is driven from feedback and People Agenda initiatives
- Create a change mindset culture with CaLM
- Leverage HSBC learning tools to create continuous development for staff, soft skills and management training for prospective future emerging talent in CaLM team
- The nature of the role requires that the incumbent will need to maintain multiple business interactions, including Front Office, IT and broader operations teams. Managing the growth and stakeholder expectations is key
- Multi-entity, multi-currency time critical operations environment with key decision making responsibilities
- Good governance and accurate updates on run and change the bank tasks - there will be change initiatives and issues from multiple stakeholders - ensure that line management and directs are aware of status on multiple issues in a time efficient way - this includes system change and demises as well as operations change and strategy tasks
- The continuing development of the Global CaLM function in the GBMC
- Reduce cost of CaLM through initiatives such as OpOp, Continuous Process Improvement and Best Practice, Automation, Robotics/AI/ML
- Build strong key stakeholder relationships
- Strong succession planning for all key roles
- Ongoing process improvements - technical and operational dependence on others to close issues - wider team will drive closure of majority of risk issues - influencing and persuasion is required to ensure delivery milestones are met
- Ability to focus - with conflicting priorities need to prioritize and ensure focus on the key areas
- Build re-usable processes - e.g. daily/weekly reporting that can be used at month end
- Need to shape and communicate strategy to directs and wider stakeholder population
- Continue to improve processes once migrated, and realise efficiency savings. Conduct root cause analysis on repetitive process exceptions and implement fixes
The incumbent will also need to work closely with the Global Head of CaLM, other Global Heads, multiple offshore Operational teams, and the wider Cash Services management team, to champion control improvements, on-going/measureable process efficiencies and a resultant reduction in operational losses. Qualifications What you will need to succeed in the role:
Link to Candidate User Guide:
- Degree level qualification and previous experience in operations management with reputed multinational banks
- Good understanding of Treasury and Capital Markets products (eg. Bonds, Swaps, Futures, Repos), market risk measures and market data
- Self motivated, excellent communication skills, adaptability and mentoring skills
- Strategic thinker, planner and a good listener.
- Demonstrable experience in leading large-scale, high profile teams would be a definite advantage.
- Ability to drive performance under pressure and met strict timelines
- Ability to work cross culturally with a strong collaborative and inclusive mindset.
- High level of competency in the production of information, and the ability to process and analyse large volume of data