About Standard Chartered
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It's about showing how you embody our valued behaviours - do the right thing, better together and never settle - as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We're committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture - one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
The Role Responsibilities
- Provide legal support and advice to the General Data Protection Regulation programme ("GDPR programme") in relation to the measures the Bank is taking to ensure compliance with the EU General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR").
- Delivering legal support and advice to GDPR programme key stakeholders and Supply Chain Management on legal matters pertaining to GDPR and third-party supplier contract remediation.
- Provide legal support and advi ce to review, draft and negotiate Group commercial contracts with suppliers and other third parties.
- Provide legal support, advice and training on new commercial contracts, orders and statements of work and renewals with minimum supervision to Supply Chain Management and other stakeholders across the Group Functions and Business.
- Provide legal support and advice to other stakeholders in relation to other third-party supplier contract remediation programmes required to address Bank policies and procedures.
- Promote a culture and practice of good conduct of business and adherence to legal standards.
- Manage and implement the delivery of legal support for the GDPR programme, including the remediation of existing contracts to address GDPR requirements and supporting Supply Chain Management, Business, Functions and other Legal teams to incorporate GDPR requirements into new or renewed commercial contracts.
- Act as the primary point of contact for escalations on GDPR legal matters.
- Build and maintain close relationships with GDPR programme key stakeholders and leadership teams and relevant Supply Chain Management stakeholders.
- Staying abreast of legal and regulatory developments pertaining to GDPR requirements, particularly how such requirements impact contractual arrangements, and providing advisory support.
- Anticipating, identifying, mitigating, monitoring and reporting legal risks in relation to GDPR and other initiatives as required by the Bank's risk management framework.
- Reviewing, advising, drafting and negotiating multi-country commercial contracts to ensure they meet Group Third Party Contract Standards and applicable law, including general goods and services agreements, business process outsourcing agreements, consultancy agreements and intragroup arrangements.
- Support development of guidance and templates on contracts and provide training on contract legal issues.
- Ensure close coordination with other Legal function teams. Where external counsel is appointed, liaise with external counsel and ensure the scope of work is defined and appropriate, oversee the quality of work and manage external legal costs and ensure appropriate overall matter management.
Our Ideal Candidate
- Profile: Able to work with various levels of management
- Commercial: pragmatic, creative, practical and solution-oriented
- Proactive: able to use initiative and ready to identify issues without being asked and provide advice accordingly
- Flexible: able and willing to work long hours (if required) and, at short notice, travel to, and work in, challenging environments for prolonged periods of time
- Team player: personable, responsible, helpful
- Organised: able to prioritise workload and manage conflicting priorities to meet deadlines
- Reliable, tactful, discreet, diplomatic: able to work with board members, other senior staff and persons of different nationalities and from different cultures, have good judgment and strong decision-making skills
- Self-motivated: able to operate independently with no supervision.
- Energetic: enthusiastic about the role, the function and the Group
- Responsibility and perseverance
- Highest professional standards
Must be a qualified lawyer (solicitor, attorney or barrister) with minimum 6+ years' post qualification experience and have:
- a good knowledge and understanding of commercial contract requirements including supply chain issues and data protection (knowledge of GDPR requirements would be preferred)
- experience in contract legal support (whether through in-house or private practice) and business acumen
- experience in structuring and executing a wide variety of commercial and supply chain related matters
- experience in reviewing contracts using contract templates or using guidance/playbooks
- ability to draft contract terms to meet requirements
- ability to negotiate contract terms with third parties
- understanding of risk management techniques
- exemplary integrity, ethics, independence and resilience
- personal authority with proven ability to establish relationships and provide strong direction at senior levels of the Group
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.