Head of Taxation
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Permanent, Full time
- Standard Chartered Bank Malaysia Berhad
- 17 Oct 17 2017-10-17
Head of Taxation
Strategy and Business
• Work with Business (Product) and Functional Tax teams to provide or oversee the provision by external advisers of Malaysian tax advice to local business units and on corporate transactions impacting SCB entities.
• Sign off Malaysian tax aspects of formal approvals such as product country addendums, change in structure forms and repatriation requests.
• Develop and maintain relationships with local business units and support functions.
• Work closely with Business (Product) and Functional tax teams in promoting general tax awareness among local business units including identification and execution of tax planning opportunities, value creation initiatives, and implementation of appropriate measures to mitigate potential areas of tax exposure (consistent with the Group's approach to managing tax).
• Work closely with the Transfer Pricing team to ensure implementation of appropriate TP methodologies, management of associated risks and promoting general TP awareness to relevant stakeholders in Malaysia.
• Develop and maintain relationships with the Malaysian Revenue Authority and other policy makers in Malaysia including representation on relevant industry support groups with a view to provide advocacy efforts to effect tax policy change. Processes
• Operate the forecasting and reporting processes for Malaysian corporate income tax.
• Operate the Malaysian tax compliance processes for Malaysian entities.
• Own and manage the service level agreement with GFS for outsourced services. Risk Management
• Discharge Tax RO responsibilities for Malaysian taxes in accordance with the Tax Procedure.
• Manage Malaysian tax controversy risk including all correspondence from the Malaysian Tax Authorities.
• Ensure judgemental decisions regarding application of the Group's Approach to Tax and Tax Policy to transactions are appropriately escalated.
• Provide attestation to support any CFO sign off required to be provided to tax authorities. People and Talent
• Lead through example and builds the appropriate culture and values. Sets appropriate tone and expectations from their team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
• Ensure the provision of ongoing training and development of people, and that holders of critical functions are suitably skilled and qualified for their roles and effective supervision is in place to mitigate risks.
• Employ, engage and retain high quality people, with succession planning for critical roles.
• Set and monitor job descriptions and objectives for direct reports and provide feedback and rewards in line with their performance against those responsibilities and objectives.
• Ensure up to date contingency plans are in place. Governance
• Take personal responsibility for understanding the risk and compliance requirements of the role and communicating the same to the team. Understand and comply with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws and regulations, including those governing anti-money laundering, terrorist financing and sanctions; the Group's policies and procedures; and the Group Code of Conduct. Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk and compliance matters.
• Embed the Group's values and code of conduct to ensure that adherence with the highest standards of ethics, and compliance with relevant policies, processes and regulations among employees form part of the culture. Key Stakeholders
• Client relationship tax manager or equivalent at the Malaysian Revenue Authority
• Member of Malaysian Bankers Association Tax Committee
• Malaysian Finance teams
• Malaysian Chief Operating Officer
• Tax Product Leads - Financial Markets, TB, PvB/CB & Retail, CF
• Functional Tax Heads - Transfer Pricing & Tax Global Process Owner, GFS & Reporting Other Responsibilities Perform other responsibilities assigned under Group, Country, Business or Functional policies and procedures.
Qualifications and Skills
•Significant post qualification Malaysian tax experience including direct experience of in-house Financial Services role and of controversy management
• Excellent technical depth and judgement on Malaysian tax matters
• Strong stakeholder management skills, able to simplify complex tax matters for non-tax senior stakeholders
• Track record of process delivery in a complex, global environment, including managing off-shored service provider
• Capable people manager with good leadership skills and the ability to engage across a network located in multiple locations
• Language skills are highly desirable.
Diversity and Inclusion
Standard Chartered is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that a work environment which embraces diversity will enable us to get the best out of the broadest spectrum of people to sustain strong business performance and competitive advantage. By building an inclusive culture, each employee can develop a sense of belonging, and have the opportunity to maximise their personal potential.