Engineering Chapter Lead
About the Role
We looking for an engineering Chapter Lead for the On premises Tribe.
As Chapter Lead, you have the opportunity to build and maintain a team of great software engineers. You will be responsible for the staffing of your chapter, act as a coach, building and developing your chapter members, understanding and identifying their development needs as well as organizing the resource allocation of chapter members to squads and orchestrate the performance of the chapter.
In the agile context, you will also participate as 'hands-on' squad member to contribute to the success of a squad as well as to retain and grow your people manager as well as technical expertise Acting as a Chapter Lead
As a Chapter Lead, you are responsible to hire, coach, and motivate team members of your chapter in order to build a group of talented software engineers that can deliver value in their squads. This activity is expected to take up to 50% of your time and includes:
▪ Select and recruit squad members with skills to meet projected demand and to have qualified, competent and motivated chapter members.
▪ Work with the Product Owners and the Engineering Lead to organise the chapter member assignment in squads.
▪ Coach chapter members on best practices and software design patterns to use in their respective products.
▪ Ensure transversal consistency of knowledge (e.g. C++, Java, Python, PLSQL, Integrator), create a culture of excellence and continuous learning and ensures professional growth of members
Set up knowledge sharing between chapter members and participate in cross-tribe knowledge sharing.
Develop and design and development programs to fill identified gaps.
Maintain deep understanding of current technology, database management, programming practices, and future trends through ongoing education, conference attendance and industry press.
Build a network within and outside the Chapter, maintains relationships with all relevant stakeholders and makes sure they are consulted and informed when needed.
Ensure chapter members understand the relevant IT policies and standards to apply in their domain
Set annual objectives and conduct mid-year review and year-end performance appraisal of chapter members
▪ Orchestrate the feedback collection from Product Owner, Agile Coach, and stakeholders to assess development needs and agree on skills development goals for chapter members
▪ Perform administrative approvals for squad members (e.g. Holiday requests, Travel requests and expense reports) Acting as a squad member
As a squad member, you also contribute to a squad (50% of time).
Illustrative for engineering CL's, Your individual contribution can encompass following activities (but not limited to) :Application design, coding and peer code review; testing and test automation, Technical POCs ; feasibility study including report; Production & Customer Support case investigations; Implement and maintain DevOps enablers : CI/CD pipelines, Jenkins ...; Functional & non-functional testing, System integration, Help with COTS upgrades, data model design, sizing and performance analysis, benchmarking (define test case, execution, reporting); Security review (e.g. GSR), design and implementation (e.g. config of certificates, encryption ...) - liaising with GS; Audit item and security risk follow up and Controls/compliance implementation/remediation About the product
As a squad member, you will be working in one of the 2 squads working on the Alliance Warehouse product. Alliance Warehouse is a new product in SWIFT's portfolio, and offers SWIFT customers a long-term secure archive for financial messages, with powerful search and investigation capabilities, and capabilities to store messages from the various SWIFT interfaces (Alliance Access, AMH, Lite 2). The product can store billions of messages while still offering fast searches, and offers the required high-availability and resilience features to allow the customers (some of the world's largest banks) to use it in their ecosystem.
Alliance Warehouse is designed using a micro-services architecture and is developed mainly in Java 11. Micro-services are built using SpringBoot. To deploy on RHEL, Docker is used and a CLI that uses Spotify Docker Java Client to configure, stop and start the services. ElasticSearch is used to offer search functionality in a GUI built using GWT, or via a REST API. Behaviours and competencies
You are an ambassador of the agile culture. With the following strong emphasis for this role:
▪ You lead by example, are an inspiration and you show energy & passion
▪ You achieve results by empowering and giving people's responsibility, but at the same time you know how to "excite", challenge and keep the team on their toes
▪ You stimulate people to really perform at their best.
Experience and knowledge / Affinity
▪ Recognized as subject matter expert
▪ Proven experience in leading, coaching and mentoring technical staff
▪ Passionate about people management and people development
▪ Open-minded and curious about technology
▪ Extensive experience of working in environments involving software engineering
▪ Customer oriented background that comprises both solid business context as well as high level understanding of high-quality technical product deliver Technical expertise
• The candidate is expected to be expert in Java development and the usage of the supporting tools / OS'es (RHEL, Windows, Jira, Confluence, git)
• The ideal candidate has professional experience in one or more of the core technologies used - ElasticSearch, Docker, Spring Boot, GWT
• Experience working on applications which are deployed at customers' premises is a plus
• Experience in any of the following domains is a plus: SpringBatch, gRPC, Jenkins pipelines, SWIFT Translator What we offer
We put you in control of career
We give you a competitive package
We help you perform at your best
We help you make a difference
We give you the freedom to be yourself We give you the freedom to be yourself. We are creating an environment of unique individuals - like you - with different perspectives on the financial industry and the world. An environment in which everyone's voice counts and where you can reach your full potential regardless of age, background, culture, colour, disability, gender, nationality, race, religion , or veteran/military status.