Assistant Shariah Manager (Shariah Research and Advisory)
Some careers grow faster than others
If you're looking for a career that will give you plenty of opportunities to develop, join HSBC and your future will be rich with potential. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further.
Representing the largest global Islamic financial services team of any international bank, HSBC Amanah provides a full suite of innovative Islamic products and services to retail and corporate customers around the world. Complementing HSBC's comprehensive range of global banking and financing solutions, HSBC Amanah leverages the Group's international experience and expertise in Islamic finance to best serve the growing demand for this viable alternative to conventional financing in Malaysia.
We are currently seeking an ambitious individual to join our HSBC Amanah team in the role of Assistant Shariah Manager (Shariah Research and Advisory)
, working together with colleagues to define, manage and achieve divisional business targets. Role Purpose
The Assistant Manager (Shariah Research & Advisory) must possess an adequate Shariah knowledge as the job holder is the executive accountable to the Senior Shariah Manager (Shariah Research & Advisory) to execute Shariah Research & Advisory function duties in ensuring that all procedural guidelines, rules and regulations issued by the HBMS Shariah Committee ("Shariah Committee"), Shariah Advisory Council ("SAC") of Bank Negara Malaysia ("BNM"), SAC of Securities Commission ("SC") and other regulatory bodies that relates to Shariah are complied with, by bridging the gap and harmonizing both the Shariah requirements and business needs with the paramount consideration to the earlier. The jobholder will be reporting to Senior Shariah Manager (Shariah Research & Advisory).
As a Shariah Risk Steward delegate, it is expected to demonstrate effective stewardship in line with the Non-Financial Risk ("NFR") Risk Steward roles & responsibilities and effective embedding of the HBMS Risk Management Framework in 1LoD, working with the 1LoD to embed Shariah Policies and Procedures and improve the risk profile.
The jobholder has also a proactive role in supporting the Senior Shariah Manager (Shariah Research & Advisory) in participation the Bank's Strategic Priorities and ad hoc initiatives by providing thought leadership as Subject Matter Expert in Islamic Banking and Shariah Compliance - a critical success factor for the Bank.
Within the context of rapid Shariah product innovations and regulatory changes, the jobholder shall also support the Senior Shariah Manager (Shariah Research & Advisory) in engaging with internal stakeholders across Country to develop an understanding of the impact on the customer and business and support Business in prioritizing transformation activity in order to ensure adequate and timely response and mitigate any risks.
As HBMS is the Group's Centre of Excellence for Islamic finance, the jobholder is also expected to support the Senior Shariah Manager (Shariah Research & Advisory) in engaging as Subject Matter Expert and provide thought leadership on Shariah related matters to other entities globally across the Group as they come across various scenarios involving Shariah compliance such as inter-bank dealing, trade syndication, distribution of securities, legacy Amanah Global clients, etc. Principal Responsibilities:
- To assist Shariah Risk Steward in defining, maintaining and oversee the embedding of Shariah Risk events and Controls into the respective Risk Taxonomies & Control Libraries, to provide challenge and ongoing monitoring of the 1LOD in embedding Shariah Policies and Procedures as well as key existing and Shariah emerging risks, and to ensure use and adoption of the HBMS Risk Management Framework. Identify any Group/Regional requirements which may impact entity Risk Stewardship and compliance with local regulatory requirements.
- To support Senior Shariah Manager in managing and conducting Shariah advisory and Shariah research, ensuring all Shariah opinions, recommendations and decisions are approved by the Shariah Committee, ensure the Bank's strategic plans, initiatives and operations are Shariah compliant, and support any local Shariah initiative as advised by the Head of Shariah.
- To support Senior Shariah Manager in managing the relationship of Shariah Department of HBMS with internal and external parties such as other departments, regulators, industry players, committees, customers, stakeholders and the public.
- Provide specialist Shariah advisory to Risk Owners, in line with the decisions of the Shariah Committee and relevant internal guidelines or policies.
- Proactively support HBMS' strategy and objectives within the entity from Shariah and Islamic banking aspects.
- Support Senior Shariah Manager in providing thought leadership and specialist advisory on Islamic Banking and Shariah matters in support of Strategic Priorities such as VBI and Product & Proposition Innovation.
- To support Head of Shariah to manage, organize and supervise subordinates who deal with the respective Shariah matters.
- To support Head of Shariah to ensure that the Shariah department of HBMS are functioning well and effective in-line with the Bank's Business Plan, BNM and SC as well as HBMS Shariah Governance Framework.
- Represent HSBC in matters relating to the role holder's areas of responsibility with regulators, clients and other third parties.
- Represent the entity across the Country and also the wider HSBC Group, as delegated.
- To enable the Shariah Committee to discharge its duties to with regards to Shariah research and advisory.
- To communicate and support Head of Shariah to manage the internal and external parties on matters affecting the decisions, rulings and opinion within the ambit of HBMS Shariah.
- To support Head of Shariah to ensure the Bank's image as a full fledge Islamic Bank in its various transactions, initiatives and activities are uphold, and to ensure the Bank is concern, serious and committed with Shariah rules and regulations in its end-to-end banking businesses, operations and activities.
- To support Head of Shariah's representation as SHA Risk Steward in internal working groups and HBMS governance and management forums.
- Degree in relevant field;
- Preferably with 2 years of relevant experience;
- Possess suitable level of analytical skills on Shariah law and compliance;
- Commitment and diligence;
- Professional, goal-oriented, innovative and well organised;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.