Assistant Director, Groupwide Internal Audit
At Prudential, we understand that success comes from the talent and commitment of our people. Together, we have a shared vision in securing the future of our customers and our communities. We strive to build a business that you can shape, an inclusive workplace where everyone's ideas are valued and a culture where we can thrive together. Our people stay connected and tuned in to what's happening around us, keeping us ahead of the curve. While focused on the long-term, we look to the future to bring growth, development and benefit to everyone whose lives we touch.
A senior member of the Audit Team (based in Malaysia but part of the regional audit team) responsible for:
- Assisting the Audit Director to develop and continuously review a 6-montly risk-based audit plan for Prudential, aligned to BU strategy.
- Performing and managing the delivery of a portfolio of audits within the area of responsibility in line with agreed audit plan, continuously reviewing to ensure alignment between audit strategy and business strategy.
- Supporting the Audit leadership team in executing a range of continuous improvement, administrative and reporting tasks needed to meet GwIA stakeholder requirements.
- Provide Management with objective analysis, detailed observations and recommendations relating to key Business risk areas to mitigate the spectrum of risks relating to the achievement of Business Objectives and Plans within P&L / Channel area of responsibility.
- Provide independent, objective assurance that risks are being managed to ensure they are within the risk appetite approved by the Board.
- Support the Audit Director in his / her assessment of the overall risk management environment in Prudential.
- Required to have a good working relationship with Audit Directors and other members of the Internal Audit team.
- Portfolio and stakeholder relationship management responsibilities - Key accountabilities include building and sustaining good working relationships with business/assigned stakeholders as part of continuous monitoring and risk assessment activities.
- Line / people management responsibilities - Developing and coaching
- Help to construct the 6-montly risk-based audit plan in consultation with team members and business line management. Clear articulation of specialist audit and resource needs to deliver the audit plan provided to Technical Leads.
- Responsible individually and collectively for the scheduling of the resources based on the Audit Plan.
- Manage a portfolio of varied audit assignments to time, quality and budget, including preparation and review of audit working papers in line with the audit methodology.
- Leading and supporting audits, discussing audit report and findings with Management to ensure that appropriate responses are obtained for each issue raised in the report. As a lead, reviewing the audit working papers in line with the GwIA audit methodology.
- To represent GwIA in management of key stakeholder relationships including Audit Committee meetings.
- Take a lead role in shaping the on-going development of the internal control processes through disseminating best practices.
In addition to degree, plus to have professional and/or insurance qualifications. At least 8 years audit/risk/compliance experience in the insurance industry.
Key competencies (soft skills):
High attention to detail, critical thinking abilities and good report writing skills, able to articulate risk and control well. Good negotiation and communication skills, able to influence stakeholders and build good business stakeholder relationships Have people management experience / have led and coached team members for a number of years and ready to lead and manage audit teams on assignment
A strong understanding of risk and controls in Life and/or General insurance especially in the areas of new business and underwriting, policy servicing, claims, product development and marketing, investment management, distribution (agency and bancassurance), branch audits, operational risk management, finance, HR, Takaful and Shariah. Very familiar with Malaysian regulatory requirements i.e. BNM, LIAM, MTA, IFSA, impacting the insurance industry.
Known as an SME in own functional area and is often sought after for advice / consultation Apart from business-as-usual audit work, have delivered impactful initiatives / products which has helped elevate the function (e.g. helped automate a certain manual process / delivered an automated dashboard for more efficient risk identification etc.) Has good contact with people in the industry (to stay informed on developments in a fast moving regulated insurance world)