ASSISTANT COMPANY SECRETARY
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia Kuala Lumpur Kuala Lumpur MY
- Permanent, Full time
- HSBC Bank (M) Berhad
- 26 Apr 18 2018-04-26
ASSISTANT COMPANY SECRETARY
Some careers grow faster than others.
If you're looking for a career that will give you plenty of opportunities to develop, join HSBC and your future will be rich with potential. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further.
Regulators globally are expecting much higher Compliance and Anti-Money Laundering (AML) / Counter Terrorist Financing (CTF) standards from financial institutions and have adopted zero tolerance towards regulatory breaches. The scope and depth of the Compliance function in HSBC have grown in line with the business growth at HSBC Bank Malaysia Berhad, HSBC Amanah and Group entities; and increasing range of new products and services. Compliance ensures robustness of the compliance framework in line with the new local and Group requirements, drives enhancement of procedures and processes and provides on-going compliance support to the business units and Group entities. At the same time, the regulators have also imposed higher corporate governance levels and this includes more onerous responsibilities on the Board of Directors. This results in heavier responsibility on the Company Secretarial function to ensure that the required corporate governance levels are maintained at all times and to provide sufficient support and guidance to the Board.
We are now inviting qualified individuals to join this team in the role of Assistant Company Secretary.
- To provide support in the provision of a company secretarial service to the HSBC Group's companies in Malaysia.
- To assist the Assistant Company Secretary in supporting the Boards of Directors and corporate governance frameworks within Malaysia.
- To assist the Assistant Company Secretary in the maintenance of statutory registers and the submission of statutory filings within Malaysia
- To contribute to the development of strategic and operational objectives of the Global Company Secretarial function through the Company Secretary, Malaysia.
- Assisting the Assistant Company Secretary in providing support to the Board of Directors and senior management of Group companies on corporate governance and statutory, regulatory and governmental requirements as well as best practice requirements and standards.
- Providing support in the implementation of corporate actions, such as acquisitions, disposals, formations and liquidations of companies, restructuring of Group companies and investments (including overseas interests), injection of share capital and loan capital and payment of dividends.
- Providing support for statutory and regulatory compliance of Group companies in Malaysia.
- Providing advice, guidance and support to the Board of Directors and senior management of Group companies in Malaysia for which he/she provides company secretarial support.
- Maintaining and developing positive relationships with colleagues in other departments such as Finance, Legal, Compliance, Group Management Office (GMO) and those within the businesses being supported.
- Maintaining and developing positive relationships with other external advisers/suppliers within Malaysia
- Maintaining and developing positive professional working relationships with directors and managers within the businesses.
- Contributing to discussions on how to improve engagement.
- Contributing to a cooperative and flexible working environment.
- Monitoring the effectiveness and appropriateness of the corporate governance framework of companies of which he/she provides secretarial support.
- Helping reduce the costs and expenses of the department.
- Considering how to re-engineer existing processes to deliver efficiencies within the Department.
- Continually reassessing the operational risks inherent in the business, taking account of changing economic or market conditions, legal and regulatory requirements, operating procedures and practices, management restructurings, and the impact of new technology.
- Undertaking ad hoc projects as and when required.
- A tertiary degree or an Associate member of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators is desirable;
- Good knowledge of external regulations and directives as well as internal policies, to know how these apply to the business and to balance the requirements with the business demands;
- Meticulous, have an eye for details and IT savvy;
- Minimum 1 - 2 year experience in a financial institution control function;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, accuracy, attention to details, flexibility and the ability to organize/prioritize and work well under pressure;
- A team worker with ability to work independently;
- Excellent command of English (both verbal and written).