(Senior) Technology Industry Advisor
- Contract, Full time
- European Investment Bank.
- 23 Nov 17 2017-11-23
The Project Directorate’s mission is to provide independent economic and technical advice to the EIB’s decision makers on the quality of investment projects submitted to the Bank as well as advising promoters on the development and implementation of projects. Moreover it informs the sector policies of the Bank in line with the pursuit of its overall policy mission.
The EIB, the European Union’s bank, is seeking to recruit for its Projects Directorate (PJ) - Innovation and Competitiveness Department (INCO) – Digitalisation and Small Businesses (DSB)* at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a:
*New as from 1.01.2018
(Senior) Technology Industry Advisor
This is a full time position at grade 5/6
The term of this contract will be 4 years
Panel interviews are anticipated for beginning of January 2018
The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.
The Project Directorate’s mission is to provide independent economic and technical advice to the EIB’s decision makers on the quality of investment projects submitted to the Bank as well as advising promoters on the development and implementation of projects. Moreover it informs the sector policies of the Bank in line with the pursuit of its overall policy mission. To accomplish its role, PJ is mainly staffed with sector experts (Engineers, Economists, Environmental and Social experts), who work together in multi-disciplinary project teams, and in close contact with the other EIB operational services.
The Senior Technology Industry Advisor (internally referred to as Sector Specialist) conducts, within multi-disciplinary teams, the due diligence of innovative companies in Europe within the Technology industries (including Software and Software Based Services, Cloud Computing, Cybersecurity, Artificial Intelligence, (I)IoT). S/he would assess the financial, economic, technical and environmental viability of investment projects and programmes in all countries where the Bank operates, with a specific focus on innovations in digitization, analytics, artificial intelligence, and automation. and contribute to sector studies and/or policy papers in support of the Bank's sector and lending policies.
Within the Project Directorate, the Innovation and Competitiveness Department focuses on supporting investments in the knowledge economy and comprises five divisions. The Senior Technology Industry Advisor will report to the Head of the Digitalisation and Small Businesses (DSB) Division. Within the department, the DBS division covers manufacturing and technology industries, including internet and software and ICT service providers,
As part of a multi-disciplinary team, the Senior Industry Advisor will:
- Evaluate the strategic consistency, commercial viability and sustainability of the business model of innovative companies, notably early-stage technology companies.
- Assess the technical and economic viability of investment projects and programmes in the relevant industrial sectors, including technology and market assessment and supply chain analysis. .
- Prepare sector, policy and methodology papers related to the sector of her/his responsibility in support of the Bank's sector and lending policies.
- Assist in identifying investments representing new financing opportunities in these sectors.
- Monitor project implementation, including final evaluation of project completion and further project follow-up when required.
- Represent the Bank towards corresponding service units in the European Commission, other international bodies and IFIs as well as at selected sector events.
- A Master’s or higher degree in Finance, Economics or Business Administration, or a Master's degree in Engineering. Electronics or Computer Science, complemented by studies in Economics.
- A minimum of 8 years relevant professional experience in the Technology sector, gained in a Technology company, an industrial corporate and/or a strategy and management consultancy firm, with exposure to investment due diligence and market analysis.
- Demonstrable knowledge of the Technology/Software sector and companies within it; good understanding of Enterprise and Manufacturing digitalisation principles and implementation benefits and related cybersecurity aspects as well as Artificial Intelligence applications would be an advantage.
- Good knowledge of applied quantitative methods, economic and financial modelling, including cash flow modelling, cost-benefit analysis and risk analysis.
- Excellent knowledge of English and French (*). The knowledge of another European Union language would be an advantage.
- Achievement Drive: continually keeps an eye on performance, focusing on improving it, showing drive and determination to meet short and long-term goals.
- Change Orientation: Adapts to differences and changes in the environment; takes a flexible approach to reach outcomes.
- Collaboration: Works cooperatively as part of a team; works collaboratively with peers across organisational boundaries based on a genuine interest in and an accurate understanding of others and their individual perspectives and concerns.
- Organisational Commitment: Is willing to commit to an organisation whose mission is to support Europe and is open to diversity, and to align her/his own behaviour with the organisation’s needs and intrinsic values, acting with integrity in ways that promote the organisation’s mission, policies and rules.
(*) There may be certain flexibility on this requirement, but limited to particularly suitable candidates who may not yet be proficient in French. If selected, such candidates will be hired on the condition that they build up rapidly knowledge of French and accept that their future career in the EIB may be subject to the attainment of sufficient proficiency in both of the Bank's working languages
We believe that Diversity is good for our people and our business. Therefore, we promote and value diversity and inclusion among our staff, irrespective of their gender, nationality, race, culture, education and experience, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or disability.