Senior Legal Counsel - Permanent contract
Role and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Luxembourg General Counsel, the role holder will provide first class internal legal advice, guidance and support primarily but not exclusively to HSBC Global Banking and Markets (GBM) and to HSBC Investment Funds Luxembourg (HIFL-Asset Management) in Luxembourg. She/he will also ensure that the Group’s exposure to legal risk is managed and the execution of Group business and operational strategies and initiatives are facilitated. Principal accountabilities:
- Provide support to GBM and Asset Management generally.
- Be considered to be a trusted adviser to the GBM business and Asset Management by providing commercially sensitive, pragmatic and practical legal support and advice in a cost-effective manner.
- Provide support and guidance to GBM (especially Securities Services) departments and HIFL and other Luxembourg HSBC entities and the Luxembourg Legal Function with regard to legal risks arising in jobholder’s area of expertise.
- Provide prompt, commercial, practical and high quality legal advice to HSS and HIFL, and where relevant, to other business in Luxembourg
- Be proactive in the provision of legal support and in advising the business promptly of material legal developments and their implications
- Ensure the Luxembourg General Counsel is fully briefed on major issues arising in relevant business area and major legislative changes in area of expertise
- Build and maintain positive and effective relationships with panel law firms and other appropriate external parties.
Professional skills and experience:
- Strong knowledge of Luxembourg law and EU law acquired with either private practice or experience (minimum of 5+ years PQE) within an international group in a securities services/investor services businesses and/or Management Company. Background in various areas of corporate banking activities and payment and cash management activities would be a strong advantage.
- Experienced and confident practitioner
- Up-to-date knowledge of developments in relation to funds and banking law
- Able to handle a diverse range of legal and regulatory issues (e.g. general banking, regulatory developments (e.g. AIFMD, UCITS V, MIFID, PSD2, GDPR, etc.))RESTRICTED Self-starter, independent with good organisational skills and the ability to prioritise effectively
- Excellent communication, negotiation and inter-personal skills
- Lateral thinking/problem solving
- Stamina and ability to work under pressure and within time constraints
- Ability to deal with highly confidential and commercially sensitive information with discretion
- Ability to manage competing internal stakeholder relationships
- Ability to accurately identify, convey and manage legal risk
- Work closely with other members of the Luxembourg legal team and ensure that members of the team with less expertise are updated and taking care of current and emerging legal risks
- Experience in controlling external legal costs and managing relationships with external legal counsels
- Fluency in English mandatory and ideally in French. Working knowledge of one further European language would be a definite advantage.
If you’re looking for a career where you will be respected as an individual and valued for the contributions you make, please send your application letter and curriculum vitae (in English), and discover how diversity drives our success. Whether you want a career that could take you to the top, or simply take you in an exciting new direction, HSBC offers opportunities, support and rewards that will take you further.
We want everyone to be able to fulfil their potential which is why we provide a range of flexible working arrangements and family friendly policies.
Please note that due to the volume of applications received, we will acknowledge your application only if we wish to proceed to interview. If you have not received a response within 4 weeks your application has not been successful.
Please also note that every selected candidate will have to provide us with a valid criminal record check in due time. For any GDPR request, please send it to: firstname.lastname@example.org