Regulatory/Funds/Asset Management Lawyer Who we're looking for
We are looking for an in-house lawyer who will join in the Distribution and Product Team within the Schroders Group Legal Department covering Europe, the Middle East and Africa (EMEA), reporting to the Head of Legal, Schroder Investment Management EU, the Group's Luxembourg operating entity which is a UCITS Management Company and an AIFM. The role is based in Luxembourg.
The successful candidate is likely to be from one of the leading Luxembourg law firms that serve the asset management / funds industry, or with Luxembourg in-house asset management experience of equivalent quality. About Schroders
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
We have around 6,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years, but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper. The team
The EMEA Legal team provides coverage for Schroders' asset and wealth management businesses in EMEA and globally across each of the Investment, Product, Distribution, Private Assets and Infrastructure Divisions of the firm. This role is within Distribution and Product team in Luxembourg which is focussed on the firm's European operating entity SIM EU in its role as management company to the Group's Luxembourg funds ranges (UCITS and AIFs) and investment management entity (post Brexit) for international clients of a range of forms. What you'll do
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
- Advise the Luxembourg management company on legal and regulatory issues pertaining to regulated products and private assets, especially those pertaining to the CSSF, delegations, service level agreements (providers intra Group and external) and other commitments made to managers, distributors and providers.
- Advice on day to day legal and regulatory client/product documentation needs of Institutional and Intermediary businesses, Product Development, Fund Services and Distribution.
- Draft and negotiate legal documentation associated with and ancillary to investment mandates for funds or clients, including investment management agreements, fund prospectuses / KIID, factsheets, side letters/amendments and other general commercial agreements such as delegation agreements, service level agreements, indemnities, subscription agreements, NDAs and letters of intent.
- Draft and negotiate service provider agreements (management, custody, transfer agency, administration, fund accounting, advisory).
- Draft and negotiate distribution agreements for EU-based intermediary clients.
- Advice on the application of Group policies and standards
- Advisory involvement in regulatory projects, interpretation and implementation of new regulations and directives across the relevant areas of the firm. Recent and current examples include PRIIPs, MiFID II, AIFMD, UCITS, Solvency II, FATCA, CRS, EMIR, GDPR, SFTR, SFDR, Taxonomy and CSRD.
- Advice on distribution compliance issues including cross-border marketing and the adoption of appropriate intra-business processes to ensure compliance with local regulations, and to offer solutions and mitigants depending on the distribution plan.
- Advice on regulatory approval processes to enable distribution of funds in new markets - e.g. the Middle East and Africa.
- Advice on the registration of new funds with overseas regulators in existing markets for local distribution purposes.
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
- Demonstrable professional experience - 3-5 years
- Fluent in English and French.
- Excellent contract law knowledge, drafting skills and experience in client / service provider contract negotiation.
- Demonstrable knowledge of UCITS and AIF authorised fund products.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- In-depth knowledge/experience of the investment management, funds / asset management industry.
- Relevant experience : in regulatory advisory work for Luxembourg funds, management companies (UCITS and AIFMs) and service providers (TA, depositary, administrator); negotiation and drafting of Luxembourg (or other EU) authorised funds and client agreements (institutional IMAs and platform agreements) across a range of asset classes, including private assets and alternatives.
What you'll be like
- Strong private practice experience
- Fluency in additional languages (particularly European)
- Experience of derivatives (OTC and exchange-traded) useful but not essential.
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
- Genuinely pro-active and keen to take responsibility.
- Excellent attention to detail and procedure.
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to liaise with staff at all levels to senior management level.
- Must be a good team player, have high quality legal skills and be sufficiently confident with internal and external clients.
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability.