Banking and Finance Lawyer
, the European Union's bank is seeking to recruit for its Legal Directorate (JU) - Legal Department, Operations 2 (JU/OPS 2) - Outside Europe A Division (OEU-A)
at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a Banking and Finance Lawyer .
This is a full-time, temporary position at grade 4/5. The term of this contract will be one year. As this is a temporary replacement assignment, no extension or conversion of the contract is foreseen Panel interviews are anticipated for mid May . Purpose
The Outside Europe A Division (OEU-A) is currently dealing with the legal documentation and legal issues for projects in the following countries: Neighbourhood Countries South (North Africa and Levant), Saharan and Sub-Saharan Africa, Caribbean, Pacific, Asia, Latin America. The lawyer will assist the Head of Division and Head of Department, together with other legal advisers, in providing legal support to the operational directorates, carrying out work related to all tasks within the remit of the division. Operating Network
As a Banking and Finance Lawyer, internally referred to (Associate) Officer Legal Services, you will act under the authority of the Head of Division, in cooperation with the other lawyers of the OEU-A Division and in accordance with the priorities established by the Head of Division (in coordination with the Head of Department). The post may involve a certain amount of travel for negotiations and signatures of legal documentation and contracts. Accountabilities
You will carry out work related to all of the Division's responsibilities and work independently on financing operations. The post may involve a certain amount of travel for negotiations and signatures of legal documentation. You will:
- Draft and negotiate legal documentation for financing operations and guarantees for:
- projects in the aforementioned countries, notably bilateral loans with banking sector and/or corporates and/or public sector counterparties
- structured finance (including securitisations), project finance and PPP transactions, with or without the assistance of external legal counselThis involves: drafting of documents, legal advisory support, execution of contracts, completion of all related legal formalities and legal monitoring (including loan restructuring and other post-signature tasks).
- Manage contacts and negotiations with the Bank's clients and their legal counsels
- Liaise with external counsels and supervise their work, whenever necessary
- Complete the administrative formalities vis-à-vis clients (public institutions and private enterprises)
- Undertake research and conduct legal studies on issues of law arising in connection with the Bank's operations and in the context of developing new financial instruments
- Develop and maintain relationships within the Bank and represent EIB externally where necessary
- University degree in law, preferably at Master level, and professional legal qualification in Luxembourg, France, England or Spain
- Minimum 3 years relevant experience for the job (of which 2 years must be post-qualification professional experience), in the field of bank lending and/or project finance, acquired with a law firm of international repute or the in-house legal department of a financial institution
- Significant experience in the drafting and negotiation of finance documentation in English and/or French. Experience in the drafting and negotiation of finance documentation in Spanish would be an advantage. Drafting / negotiation experience of such contracts in the relevant geographical areas would also be an asset.
- Solid experience of general banking, structured finance, project finance and/or PPP transactions
- Post-graduate legal studies (LLM or equivalent) in a university of international reputation would also be an advantage
- Very good knowledge of standard computer tools
- Excellent knowledge of English and/or French with a strong working knowledge of the other; knowledge of Spanish would be an advantage
- Achievement Drive: Continually keeps an eye on performance, focusing on improving it, showing drive and determination to meet short and long-term goals.
- Change Orientation: Adapts to differences and changes in the environment; takes a flexible approach to reach outcomes.
- Collaboration: Works cooperatively as part of a team; works collaboratively with peers across organisational boundaries based on a genuine interest in and an accurate understanding of others and their individual perspectives and concerns.
- Organisational Commitment: Is willing to commit to an organisation whose mission is to support Europe and is open to diversity, and to align her/his own behaviour with the organisation's needs and intrinsic values, acting with integrity in ways that promote the organisation's mission, policies and rules.
We are an equal opportunity employer, who believes that diversity is good for our people and our business. As such, we promote the inclusion of suitably qualified and experienced staff without regard to their gender, age, racial or ethnic origin, religion or beliefs, sexual orientation/identity, or disability (*).
Deadline for applications: Tuesday, 7 th April 2020
(*). We particularly welcome applications from women and persons with disabilities.