About this role Investment Operations: Is responsible for the development of the firm's operating infrastructure to support BlackRock's investment businesses worldwide. IO establishes and coordinates operational processes and procedures internally and externally with clients, custodians, prime brokers, broker-dealers and other vendors and is responsible for
About this role
Investment Operations: Is responsible for the development of the firm's operating infrastructure to support BlackRock's investment businesses worldwide. IO establishes and coordinates operational processes and procedures internally and externally with clients, custodians, prime brokers, broker-dealers and other vendors and is responsible for managing BlackRock's broker-dealer and custodian bank relationships.
More broadly, GIO is responsible for the development of the firm's operating infrastructure to support BlackRock's investment businesses worldwide. GIO establishes and coordinates operational processes and procedures internally and externally with clients, custodians, prime brokers, broker-dealers and other vendors and is responsible for managing BlackRock's broker-dealer and custodian bank relationships.
As an Operations Specialist, you'll work closely with colleagues globally – other operations specialists, traders, product managers, business analysts, risk managers, IT developers and client-facing teams - to support existing and new trading strategies, enhance technology and reporting, and develop new products and services. You'll have an opportunity to make a real impact on the bottom line by enabling the business to capitalize on trading opportunities, improving performance and efficiency, supporting the Onboarding of new inventory and the expansion of relationships with clients, brokers and borrowers and service providers.
This is a GIO cross functional role that carries Transaction Management, Collateral Management, and Derivative Documentation responsibilities.
Transaction Management (TM)
- Follow established procedures and perform appropriate controls (including cash, security and collateral reconciliations), while exercising good judgment in managing risk and following company escalation procedures
- Develop expertise in local market practices through experience, training, classes and outside research, to ensure best of class service
- Develop a deep understanding of GIO functional processes, BLK operating platform, and market infrastructure with focus on counterparty and provider touch points
- Drive market change to deliver scale and enable us to deliver a reliable and responsive service experience to our functional partners and clients
- Support the continued evolution of the Aladdin platform and global process model. Participate in projects as they relate to broader business product and system development, as well as process re-design and improvement. E.g., processes unique to the Japanese market
- Assist on-boarding team to launch new funds by working with both internal and external stakeholders
- Provide guidance to and influence junior colleagues within the organization to develop their expertise
- Confirmation of Derivatives & FX Trades
- Affirmation of Derivatives trades in 3rd party system such as MarkitWire
- Work with Brokers/Clearers to identify all unconfirmed trades and work towards resolution of trade disputes
- Confirmation and Settlement of Money Market, Equities and Fixed income trades
- Work with Custodians (including Japanese Trust Banks), Brokers to facilitate settlement pre-matching and follow-up on failing trades
- Work on SWIFT Messaging - MT54x, MT54ys, MT900s, MT300 messages across products
- External stakeholder management including dealing with Brokers, Custodians, Vendor
- Internal stakeholder management including dealing with Trading Desks, Portfolio Managers, Ops Risk, other Bus Ops functions
Collateral Management/Derivative Operations (CM)
- Gain a comprehensive understanding of BlackRock’s operational processes and systems relating to Derivative Operations
- Responsible for monitoring and responding to day to day queries from external service providers including custodians, accounting agents, trust banks and vendors
- Collaborate with key constituents, internally and externally, to ensure a globally consistent and tightly controlled environment
- Scope of responsibilities includes oversight of derivative servicing activity; i.e. Clearing (Exchange Traded Derivatives & Cleared OTC), OTC Collateral Management
- Participate & help drive the design and implementation of the BlackRock’s derivative operations model on the Aladdin platform
- Support and implement platform changes resulting from regulatory rule changes in the APAC region
- Institute effective monitoring and controls to mitigate risk
- Provide regular updates to Investment Operations senior management
Derivative Documentation (DD)
- Play a role in maintaining and managing relationships with our APAC counterparties documentation and on-boarding teams
- Responsible for managing internal and external service provider relationships to ensure successful delivery of contracted services, proactively address and resolve issues – include answering day to day queries.
- Centrally responsible for updating agreement amendments as part of the on-boarding of accounts to ISDA master agreements.
- Partner with our Exchange Traded Derivatives clearers to open new Clearing agreements.
- When required, be the Derivative Documentation representative for external parties including clients, auditors and consultants
- Accountable for inputting legal and derivative data into the DECO system to support trading and collateral processes., e.g. minimum transfer amounts and eligible collateral terms
- Develop critical internal relationships with the Trading teams, Portfolio Managers, Relationship Managers, Compliance and Legal, and Operations teams
- Contribute to strategic architecture and design on platform enhancements to enhance operational efficiency
- Japanese language proficiency a must
- Minimum 5 years experience preferably in global Investment Management and Investment Banking firms
- BS/MBA in business, finance or related field is preferred
- Previous experience of working in a global organization preferred
- Understanding of financial markets and related instruments - (Equities, Fixed Income, FX Derivatives, Exchange Traded Futures, swaps, collateral)
- A strong emphasis on time management in addition to being well organized and detail–oriented
- Team player with attention to details, problem solving abilities, and analytical skills
- Ability to multi task and be flexible in terms of working in shifts
- Strong knowledge on Japan market and experience dealing with Japan domestic clients and trust banks
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and an aptitude for learning new applications
- The ability to perform effectively in an environment of rapid and continual change
- Work in a dynamic, rapid changing, deadline driven environment
- An excellent verbal and oral communicator, capable of articulating complex problems in a simplistic manner.
BlackRock’s purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of September 30, 2019, the firm managed approximately $6.96 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock |
Blog: www.blackrockblog.com | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, natio
nal origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.