Ops Specialist, Line
- Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 11 Dec 17 2017-12-11
See job description for details
The role is within the Japan Fixed Income Derivative Trade Support Group where the primary products covered are Vanilla & Exotic Interest Rate Swaps, as well as Fixed Income Structured Notes. As a member of FID TSG you will be working closely with the Front Office to provide the first level of control for the Japan Fixed Income Derivative Trading desks by ensuring that the trade bookings are correctly captured and reflected in the relevant systems, and tie out with our counterparties. Additionally, you will be responsible for ensuring current controls and procedures are enforced, whilst liaising with IT and Project Groups to initiate new controls and look to improve the firms infrastructure and STP solutions to increase efficiency and reduce Operational risk. Attention to detail is paramount in this role, along with diligence and quick escalation. The ideal candidate should have at least 3 years of experience in the OTC Derivatives space.
The key areas of responsibility are:
- Daily reconciliation (i.e. Trade check out) and clearance of position and PnL breaks;
- Ensuring accurate electronic confirmation of Interest Rate Derivative trades on MarkitWire, whilst reconciling back to the firm?s risk systems;
- Being the data provider and reconciliation owner of critical trade reporting requirements, safeguarding the firm?s obligations to both our local and global regulators;
- Providing additional supervision of the daily controls and processes to ensure accurate and timely completion;
- Maintaining compliance with product specific regulations (e.g. Mandatory Clearing and SEF/ETP execution);
- Supporting the lifecycle events for many different vanilla and structured products within the FID space (e.g. swaption expiries, rate fixings, redemptions);
- Executing various trade compression opportunities through multiple external vendors;
- Extensive interaction with the trading desk, answering any ad-hoc requests/trade capture related questions;
- Interaction with other areas of Operations as well as stakeholders within various other departments (e.g. Finance, Technology, Legal & Compliance) both locally in Tokyo and across other global locations;
- Provide support for business process improvements which includes trade flow automation, capacity enhancements, control framework and new business initiatives;
- Identify and escalate control-related issues. Develop new and enhance existing procedures and controls to mitigate risks;
- Contribute to both global and local projects in the Change-the-Bank agenda as well as being an SME for system testing within our UAT environments.
The role offers a fantastic opportunity for someone to be exposed to an ever evolving area of our business whilst having a very steep learning curve that gives all individuals the opportunity to develop a meaningful career within Operations. Although it is not essential, it is preferable that the candidate has a good understanding of Interest Rate Derivative products and the Japan Regulations for Fixed Income Derivatives.
- The candidate should be a strong Director with experience and a good understanding of OTC Derivative products. Strong business knowledge across the following is desired: Interest Rate swaps and structured products;
- Good interpersonal and communication skills are a pre-requisite to effectively manage the various relationships encompassed in the job remit. The ability to prioritize workloads in a highly pressured environment is essential as is the ability to build capacity and scale within the rapidly increasing business;
- Ability to work in a constantly changing environment;
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and manage daily workflow;
- Ability to work through and close out problems;
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills. Self-motivated and ability to identify and solve ambiguous problems. Guardianship focused, having the ability to identify risk areas and ask questions. Strong control awareness;
- Strong PC skills in Excel;
- Excellent communication skills with subordinates, peers and senior stakeholders;
- Business level Japanese and English (verbal and written).