Investment Management Controller
- Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 22 Feb 18 2018-02-22
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Financial Control Group (FCG) is responsible for overseeing the accounting and financial and regulatory reporting for the Firm. FCG prepares external financial reports for public filings and regulators. For internal reporting FCG, along with Financial Planning and Analysis (FPA), summarizes, plans and forecasts the organization?s financial position, including income statements, balance sheets, and analyses of future revenues, expenses and earnings. FCG is comprised of
Business Unit Controllers, Infrastructure Controllers, Accounting, Regulatory and Reporting groups, and Valuation Review.
The Morgan Stanley Investment Management Finance Group covers Product and Financial control of the Investment Management business in Japan. The group's key clients are Investment Management Business Unit (BU) and senior Finance management of Japan Financial Control group.
The team is mandated to perform financial reporting and fee billing. This process involves understanding each of the three businesses (i.e., Investment Management, Real Estate, and Private Credit & Equity) and reporting financial results to the BU and senior Finance management. The team is also involved in the continuous enhancements of the reporting and billing processes with a view towards global and cross-product standardization within the global Investment Management Business platform.
The position is in the Investment Management Finance (IMF), part of the Financial Control Group within Finance. IMF is a global group responsible for the accounting and financial reporting of the Investment Management business within Morgan Stanley.
The candidate will be a member of a team responsible for the accounting activities including general accounting and financial reporting.
The candidate will also support the billing and sales reporting activities working closely with the BU and Investment Management controllers in other regions. The candidate will report into a manager.
- Manage month-end, mid-year, and year-end closing processes. Fully analyse and reconcile Balance Sheet and P&L accounts on a monthly basis
- Prepare internal reports and presentations
- Communication with related teams to ensure timely and accurate calculation of account and reporting
- Handle billing, invoicing and payments
- Seek out constant improvements to the reporting process to make it more efficient
- Work on internal and external audit
- Examine financial and legal documents to verify accuracy and adherence to financial regulations and acceptable financial principles
- Take on new projects to enhance reporting efficiency and effectiveness by liaising with controllers in different regions.
- BS/BA in Finance, Economics or Accounting with at least 6 years of business valuation/private equity valuation experience
- CPA is a plus though not required
- Strong communication skills in both English and Japanese
- Proficiency in Excel, Word and PowerPoint, Accounting and Financial Reporting systems
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, both written and oral
- Well organized and detailed oriented
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to manage time effectively and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to work on multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team or independently