Equity Research Analyst, Japan
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work environment where both remote work and the office play a critical role. Our vision is a future where all employees are empowered to work flexibly to drive the best outcomes for our clients. Flexible work is a mindset and a core value. Our employees are encouraged to work remotely two days a week as a standard practice and will have flexibility in terms of working hours. POSITION
The Japan Equity team is seeking a Research Associate, closely working with a Portfolio Manager/Senior Managing Director, and one other Equity Research Analyst, based in Tokyo, to focus on conducting fundamental research with a view to providing investment ideas and own specific sector coverage.
Examples of the job responsibilities are:
- Generate ideas in the Japan equity space, based on fundamental screening and research based on discussions with other investment professionals within the firm as well as his/her own investment recommendations.
- Own and maintain coverage of specific sectors including following stocks that are held
- Identify and quantify stocks of companies that are being considered for investment
- Make financial forecasts of company revenues, earnings, and profitability
- Conducting analyses of financial results and meeting company management in order to synthesize and share his/her own view
- Monitoring company announcements
- Data management and analysis using spreadsheets and databases
- Maintaining and distributing notes on investment meetings
- Building and maintaining company financial models
We are seeking an individual with excellent analytical and communication skills, and an eagerness to apply them to the investment decision-making process.
Specific qualifications for the position include:
SKILLS JOB TITLE
- 5+ years' experience in Equity Research or a similar field of investment
- Experience researching stocks in the APAC region/Japan is preferred
- Strong bottom-up fundamental approach to research
- Ability to build relationships and collaborate with experienced, cross-functional investment teams
- Self-awareness and resilience to be comfortable when wrong
- Strong work ethic and attention to detail
- Strong academic track record and work ethic
- Intellectual curiosity; focus on continuous improvement
- Self-motivated; willing and able to complete tasks independently and come to conclusions based on incomplete information.
- Problem-solving skills: must be able to synthesize information and identify the most important elements to arrive at a conclusion
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Demonstrated competitive analytical ability with strong mathematical and computer skills
- Passion for markets and investing
- Effective and strong communications skills both in Japanese and English
- CFA, CMA and CPA or progress towards those certifications viewed positively
- Experience in either the asset management industry or investment banking business preferred
Equity Research Analyst, Japan LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .